automatic premimums did not stop after cancellation

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeste

In Nov 2010, I bought a health insurance policy and approved automatic monthly payments from my checking account. The same month I was admitted to the hospital. This insurance company paid nothing. So, in Dec.2009, I called and cancelled the policy. I instructed them to stop the automatic payments. Because I remained in the hospital for many months, I did not see my bank statements. They continued to withdarw money for many months...taking out over $1100.00 in error.
I emailed them twice and they do not answer me. I need help to recover my money.
I am disabled and have no assets.
thank you

Your dates are wrong or out of order.
As a first step I recommend calling and actually speaking with someone (politely).
When you cancelled the policy did you receive a notice of cancellation?
Was nobody else attending to your finances at the time?

i know the dates were typed wrong i bought the policy in nov 2010 and cancelled dec 2010........i was in the hospital then a long term care facility and my mail was not being taken care of...so i do not know if i received a cancellion notice. I do have bank statements showing money taken out each month. it was totally unauthorized. i only saw these statements recently, because i was ill.

Then that's your problem. I will pretty much guarantee you that they sent you a confirmation that you had to sign and return to verify that you really were trying to cancel your policy and it wasn't some unauthorized person doing so. I don't know of any insurance carrier that will cancel verbally without sending a written followup, and they shouldn't! That's for your own protection, so some vindictive ex or former friend or family member can't cancel your insurance out from under you without your knowing about it. When you didn't send back the confirmation, the cancellation was not finalized.

You can cancel it now, but the cancellation will not be retroactive and you will not get any past premiums back unless the company decides to permit it. The law will not force them to do so and if you attempt to sue, you will lose. It was your responsibilty to follow up, send back the written confirmation, and take note of what was on your bank statements. Sorry, but this was your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back