Auto mechanic performs unauthorized work and is holding car "hostage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericha10

Wednesday, November 2, 2005, I left my car at Lewisville Transmission (@ 7:30 in the morning) to have a mechanic determine why I was once again having problems with the transmission, that had been in their shop twice since March, 2005.

My specific instructions to Tim Martin (the owner) at 8:59 am on Wednesday was to "look at the car, determine what the problem is, call me back with the analysis and how much it will cost, if anything, to repair, and depending on the cost, I will determine at that time if I can repair the car or if it will have to wait until I have the funds.

I did not hear anything back from Tim on Wednesday. I called him Thursday at 11:30 to get an update. During the call, he told me that he was waiting for the dealership to call him back with the cost of the parts. He put me on hold twice thinking that the call coming in was from the dealership. I told him that when he gets his information, to call me back with the repair estimate. He said ok.

I called him back at 1:23 pm for an update. At this time he informs me that the car is ready to be picked up. Total cost is $1700.00 for an oxygen sensor & lockout solenoid. I was stunned because this was not the news I was expecting to hear. I was expecting to get the "estimate only".

I told him that I did not authorize him to do the work and that he will immediately need to remove the parts that he put on because I am not prepared to spend that type of money and because he did not show me consideration by doing what I had asked him to do in the first place. He told me that he would not/could not remove the parts.

I asked him why did he do the repair without my authorization. He responded with "I told you whatever the cost was, I would work with you". That statement does not constitute an authorization or an agreement. It is just him letting me know that hopefully he was not going to charge me another 3,000.00 again. I never verbally agreed to the work and I definitely did not sign anything such as a work order, estimate, etc.

In preparing my documents for small claims court, I am taking his yellow pages advertisement which boldly states "FREE ESTIMATES".

My question is, how can he legally get away with keeping my car when he has nothing in writing from me. As a matter of fact, Tim is a new owner of the shop, and because I dropped the car off before opening hours, he has never seen me. Our conversations were over the phone.

ericha10 said:
Wednesday, November 2, 2005, I left my car at Lewisville Transmission (@ 7:30 in the morning) to have a mechanic determine why I was once again having problems with the transmission, that had been in their shop twice since March, 2005.

My specific instructions to Tim Martin (the owner) at 8:59 am on Wednesday was to "look at the car, determine what the problem is, call me back with the analysis and how much it will cost, if anything, to repair, and depending on the cost, I will determine at that time if I can repair the car or if it will have to wait until I have the funds.

I did not hear anything back from Tim on Wednesday. I called him Thursday at 11:30 to get an update. During the call, he told me that he was waiting for the dealership to call him back with the cost of the parts. He put me on hold twice thinking that the call coming in was from the dealership. I told him that when he gets his information, to call me back with the repair estimate. He said ok.

I called him back at 1:23 pm for an update. At this time he informs me that the car is ready to be picked up. Total cost is $1700.00 for an oxygen sensor & lockout solenoid. I was stunned because this was not the news I was expecting to hear. I was expecting to get the "estimate only".

I told him that I did not authorize him to do the work and that he will immediately need to remove the parts that he put on because I am not prepared to spend that type of money and because he did not show me consideration by doing what I had asked him to do in the first place. He told me that he would not/could not remove the parts.

I asked him why did he do the repair without my authorization. He responded with "I told you whatever the cost was, I would work with you". That statement does not constitute an authorization or an agreement. It is just him letting me know that hopefully he was not going to charge me another 3,000.00 again. I never verbally agreed to the work and I definitely did not sign anything such as a work order, estimate, etc.

In preparing my documents for small claims court, I am taking his yellow pages advertisement which boldly states "FREE ESTIMATES".

My question is, how can he legally get away with keeping my car when he has nothing in writing from me. As a matter of fact, Tim is a new owner of the shop, and because I dropped the car off before opening hours, he has never seen me. Our conversations were over the phone.
Take a look at the receipt he gave you -- or did he give you a receipt? Is there anything else you can tell us? This is unfortunately not an uncommon situation. You may want to call around for an estimate or two first for the work, just to make sure you have certain facts straight. Your best bet might be to find out how much the work should cost elsewhere and then use your leverage to get this person to accept less although not so much that it would be absurd. It might be a good idea to have cash in pocket and make sure you get a receipt that says paid in full.

Calling the police might be of assistance to get them to release your car but just make sure they know that you demanded a return immediately, even if it meant putting the old parts back in the car. If it does go to court and you do take the new parts, do not expect a complete windfall. This is why the above settlement might be your best bet and where you'll get a significant discount due to this person's trickery. You can still report them to the BBB and elsewhere after settling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back