Auto Loans Auto Loan Collection Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

knfloyd

Hello,

Recently, after going through a relocation and divorce (enough stress), my auto loan company got pretty ticked when I was a few months late. I paid in full, though I breached a couple promises to pay (verbal, if it matters).

Last month, I got a call when my payment was about 6 or 7 days late, again by the same threatening agent. "We'll have to take action. When can you pay? I explained the nature of my business, as I have a hundred times before - I get paid every other month. Good sums of cash, but not exactly regular, and with all the turbulence in my life lately, planning payments has become increasingly difficult.

While I was with a client, the auto loan company left a message on my work voicemail. My assistant retrieved the message and was shocked to hear the voice say, "default on your auto loan" by the agent. I didn't hear about this until the following day; however, my associate called the loan company (without authorization), didn't provide any personal information of mine (the agent said, "Oh, it's right here on my desk"), and was transferred to the lady who left the original message. My associate was given the account number, months past due (2 barely), address for payment, and was made to promise to bring a payment right in (she couldn't afford it, but they were nasty to her).

I called in the next day (in response to a hostile voicemail left by a different agent, accusing me of breaking my promise). I explained I hadn't spoken with anyone at the bank the day prior, and I was transferred to the agent who left the original nasty message and subsequently spoke with my associate. I asked her why she gave personal information (regarding divorce, account #, payment amount, prior history of delinquencies, etc), and she explained she was authorized to. Now...never have I given such authorization to anyone, and she knows this. This is wrong.

Since my chat with her, the loan company has called my associate and left messages daily (even one on Saturday). What can I do to make them stop? They've referred to her as the "contact person," my sister, my agent, etc. even when I specifically told them not to do that.

What can I do? Sorry for the long post.

I would send the loan company a certified return receipt letter instructing them not to contact your assistant and that they have continued to harrass her intentionally despite their knowledge of these wishes. As a result, you are losing considerable business.

Regardless, you are in a sticky situation here. You are in default on the loan and they can go after you for the damages that are contained in the agreement. You would do best renegotiating the terms if you can and get that in writing. Next best thing is to send hardcopies/faxes of your verbal agreements to "memorialilze" the agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back