Auto accident-insurance company questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffdaddy

I was in a car accident last July. My car was totaled, but I was only going about 30mph, so I was relatively unhurt. I had a fairly good sized burn/abrasion from the airbag cover on the steering which hit my arm. I got that checked out at the doctor. I did receive a check from his insurance to cover doctor bill and car. They now called me today and told me that they haven't seen a docotor bill and were wondering if they still need to pay it. They also offered me $100 for pain and suffering, which I hadn't even thought about but they told me I could still claim. I didn't have much pain, but I was without a car for a few days, then had to drive a rental which they have already paid for. Is $100 enough. That was her first offer and I told her I'd get back to her tomorrow. I just don't want to screw myself over here.

I can't say I've ever heard of an insurance company offering money unless they were trying to byu out early to negate later pay outs or the possibility thereof. Sounds fishy, but if you're happy, take the offer.
Pain and suffering is a vague term. Suffering can be anything that irritates you in the slightest manner. An abrasion can be irritating, can get infected, etc. Bottom line, you were inconvenienced.
As for the billing mix up, I would document their that you had paid it and tell them they have a billing error. By documenting that you paid it and informing them of their fault, you will both be appreciated and covering your butt at the same time just incase something came of the situation.
It seems like you are in a much better situation than most people are in such a case. If you are content with your pay off (which it seems you are), then let it be. Do what is right, not what will land you the most cash.;)

JMacgregor says a number of good words. $100 cash sounds a little fishy and my guess is that you can get more. I wouldn't get greedy but you should get at least what you are due, such as your out of pocket expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back