Aunt may be trying to take over estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ara4698

My granmother recently passed away and with that comes some issues with a will and a trust. Her parents, my great granparents had left a trust for her and on upon her passing that trust would be passed to her children and their children etc. The problem is my Aunt, who is the only living child left of my grandmothers. My uncle and my father passed away in the recent years.
What makes me nervous is my aunt is an incredibly greedy woman, pathological liar and not above twisiting the law. She has assumed her maiden name again, even though she is married, because she shares her first name with my grandmother. Now she has the same name as my grandmother, the middle initial being the only difference. I recieved a check for my birthday from my grandmother and realized my aunts name now appeared under my grandmothers...both same names, just different middle initials. This scared me that my aunt was on her checking account because really there was no need except if my aunt wanted to use my grandmothers money..which the trust fund alloted her so much a month.
Now that she has passed my family is nervous because my aunt has changed her name to be almost identical to my grandmothers and we're fearing she will try and contest the will or trust fund...can she do this? Can the fact she put her name on the checks mean that she will say "sally Sally is not dead, see I'm alive, and that is my name' or can she take any other legal actions? Please help!

If she legally has the same name then she can use that name -- however, she obviously cannot misappropriate your grandmother's funds. I am assuming that the trust is still in effect and that there is a trustee. Alerting the trustee of the situation might be a good idea although you can more tactfully raise the issue regarding "confusion" of identity rather than making any accustations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back