Attorney won't release funds from house sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagnil

Hi there,

Going through a nasty divorce. Funds from the sale of the house recently came through, I was going to use them to finally get an attorny, but somehow they ended up in my wife's lawyer's hands. He is saying he doesn't have to give me my 1/2 until all the legal financial stuff is settled. Please help. Divorce is final next month and I need that money.

...He is saying he doesn't have to give me my 1/2 until all the legal financial stuff is settled....

Correct.

How does he have the right to touch my money in the 1st place? I also suspect that he has released some funds to my wife. How did this guy get in charge of the money from the equity that I built up (ex wife didn't work) over the course of twenty years? I'm not asking for it all, I'm asking for my 50%. I'm willing to accept the importance of the role my ex played in maintaining our home and willing to admit she is entitled to 1/2 the money. In addition, I have signed a document, which I suggested to a judge be written, stating that in addition to her 50% she can have 18 months worth of alimony taken off the top of my 50%. I think I have been fair and decent, how is this $400 an hour lawyer in control of the rest of my money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back