Attorney Disbarrment

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle67

Is it open records to find out why an attorney was disbarred?

If so, how do I go about getting this information?

Thank you

Michelle and Attorney Possibly Disbarred

Dear Michelle,

My reply is contingent upon many things, one of them being the state in which you live. It is possible to go to your state's Bar Association online, but, at least in my state, requests for documented previous action(s) against a particular attorney are not offered there.

However, if you know (or learn) your rights within the Freedom of Information Act, often simply referred to as "FOIA," you can find most any information you need. And, if and when you find it, the FOIA gives you the right to access to it. There are restrictions, but in the case of what's commonly known as "public information," there are ways to obtain it.

Learn to be you own detective. This requires a lot of study, research, and downright hard work sometimes, but does pay off. I would suggest that first you search for the FOIA and learn what your rights are. This, alone, doesn't mean that those you're attempting to get info from are simply going to hand it over, but it is a starting point.

Remember: If, we, as Americans, living in a country originally founded to free ourselves from tyranny, oppression and such, don't know our rights, WE CAN'T expect to keep them. Corruption thrives when ignorance (lack of knowledge--not stupidity) abounds.

Look up the code of laws for your state. It isn't hard to find the laws pertaining to most issues. In my experience, the hardest part is getting law enforcement officials to enforce them.

Search also for the U.S. laws. Use all the online government sources you can find. There are sometimes attorney sites that give limited info, but it's the same info you can find within your state's official law sites.

As to you attorney, if you go to your state's bar association site, you can learn what his/her professional code of ethics consists of, and you can learn how to file a grievance. While these sites have portions only available to attorneys, the also present a lot of information for the public.

Lastly, keep good records and organize your searches. Also so many in our cyberspace age have forgotten this, TALK to people--in person, by phone, by snail or e-mail. Word-of-mouth STILL is often the most reliable source we have.

There are many other options open to you. Learn to dig in and do some deep research. Be prepared to work hard. A prayer or two for help doesn't hurt either. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back