Attacked by Enterprise Rent-a-Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalgaylelsu

In March 2007, I was involved in a car accident. As a result of that accident, my car was damaged and undrivable. Therefore, I had to get a rental car. My insurance company is Allstate and the rental company they use is Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I drove the car for about 6 weeks. When I got the car, it was in the middle of a bad snow storm, but me and the employee looked at the car and it had no damages. After driving the car for a month, I brought it back to have them look at it - no damages. I drove it for 1-2 weeks more.

When my car was finally repaired, I was getting ready to move from Philadelphia to Washington, D.C. for my job. Therefore, my car would be ready the Friday night at 10pm before my Saturday morning move. I was instructed by Enterprise to drop off the rental car at the body shop that fixed my car, drive my car home, and they would pick-up the car the next day. I did exactly that.

After the move, I did not hear from Enterprise. I happen to know a friend who knew a friend that worked there and asked them to check and make sure they received the car. A week or so later, I came to find out they did receive the car and they reported damage on the car. So, I called them. They looked it up in the system and found it. I wanted to dispute it since I nor the auto mechanic remembers seeing damage on the car. They gave me the corporate headquarters phone number. I called and spoke with thier representative there after leaving a message. You can only reach her if she calls you back, because you have to leave a voice message. I talked to her once and she emailed me pictures. I never heard from her again.

I called about 2 or 3 times and left messages, but never received anything from Enterprise.

Then, in November of 2007 I received a phone call from a collections agency from Enterprise. Enterprise told them that they had tried contacting me by phone and mail and had received no response. My mail was forwarded and I never received anything. I've had the same cell phone number for 6 years and did not receive a call either.

So I worked with the collections agent and figured out I needed to call Allstate and make the claim myself since Enterprise didn't. So I made the claim. Allstate processed it and finally came to a decision in February. Since I claimed it wasn't my fault and I was unaware of the damage, they denied the claim. Then, it was to go into arbitration between Allstate and Enterprise.

Today I talked to my Allstate agent. She spoke to Enterprise. The total damage was $987. Now they are going to file two claims because it was on two different sides of the vehicle. Because of that and my $500 deductible, it leaves Allstate off the hook. Now it's a claim for $500 and $487. So I would have to pay for the total damage.

What do I do? Don't I have some kind of legal right against this?

How can they switch it around and make it two claims?

How is it possible for them to prove I did the damage if me or the auto mechanic don't remember it?

PLEASE HELP ME!

First of all, most car rental agencies take damage reports before they accept the car. You should determine the procedures that they are supposed to take and demand that they provide you with a damage report from when you returned the car. If they fail to do so then they are hard pressed to say that the damage was attributable to you. You may prefer to go to court and "implead" the company that you dropped to car off with. Essentially you will claim that they had the responsibility to take a damage report and didn't do so. There was no issue because the car was fine. While it was in this company's possession, the car may have been damaged and it is their responsibility, not yours, to pay. I don't blame you for being mad.

With regard to the collections company, you must send a written letter, certified return receipt, stating that the debt is not valid and that they should not contact you any further. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back