Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Attaching False Plates

Tegan

Jurisdiction
Maine
I was recently pulled over in a vehicle with false plates. We had not registered our new vehicle with the plates from our old vehicle. I have a criminal summons and am wondering if it would be beneficial to have a lawyer at my court date or not.

A lawyer might be able to help reduce the damage, but don't expect it to magically go away.
Your goal here should be to reduce the matter to an infraction and pay a fine, avoiding any criminal conviction.
Your first court date will be an arraignment where you are formally told of the charge against you and a trial date will be set. You could do this on your own. Simply appear, plead not guilty, and request additional time to obtain counsel. You will not be there to discuss the details of the case.

If you have been charged with a criminal violation you need an attorney. Period.,

Good advice, now I'm just guessing here, I suspect paying the necessary fees for the proper plates might have been much cheaper than hiring an attorney and also paying court fees, fines, and costs.

Good advice, now I'm just guessing here, I suspect paying the necessary fees for the proper plates might have been much cheaper than hiring an attorney and also paying court fees, fines, and costs.

Indeed, however the people who do these things have a strong feeling that they will never be caught. They delude themselves and then scramble when they DO get caught.

Indeed, however the people who do these things have a strong feeling that they will never be caught. They delude themselves and then scramble when they DO get caught.

I've always said life is simple and one can avoid all legal hassles by simply minding one's own business and obeying all laws, even the ones you dislike.

Take me, for instance, I dislike all taxes; but I'm not stupid enough NOT to pay them.

Back