Assault & Battery Assault and Battery of police officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t1donnelly

INTRODUCTION

I was arrested for assault and battery of a Police Officer! What should I do?

SUMMARY OF EVENTS

The night before my college graduation I was about to retire to bed when a person knocked on the door. He was clearly intoxicated and insisted that two girls were in my room. When I told him that they were not present, he became agitated and tried to force his way past me, into my apartment. I initially was shocked that he was trying to get in, but restrained him and pushed him back into the hallway. When he came at me again I stopped him and grabbed the first object I could to try and scare him off; It was a can of waterproofer for fabrics and boots. He relentlessly tried to get in, and I finally pushed him out into the hallway and sprayed him with the waterproofer. When he charged me again I threw the can at him; it missed rolling to the opposite end of the hall.

The can missed him and rolled past the feet of two police officers who immediately arrested me without taking statements from the attacker, or my other roommate who had witnessed the entire incident from start to finish. They were called in by residents of the apartment down the hall, who initially called the cops because of the person who tried to attack and force his way into my room.

HERE'S THE GOOD PART…

The officers police report claims that I was in the hallway discharging the can of boot waterproofer onto the wall(which makes absolutely no sense, why would I spray a can of clear waterproofer onto the wall of my own residence?). When they yelled to me to stop, I threw the can at them, striking one of the officers in the foot, then ran and resisted arrest. This is all completely false.

IN CONSEQUENCE

I spent the entire night in New Bedford prison pondering what I was doing there. The incident make's absolutely no sense.

I was unable to attend graduation commencement disappointing my friends and family, and lost my department of defense security clearance that was necessary for my career as a mechanical engineer with my future employer Electric Boat. Since then I have been underemployed, unable to pass most background checks because of my pending criminal case.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Can anyone make recommendations of how to handle this?

Is a civil litigation case a feasible way to resolve some of the financial and emotional losses I have succumb to because of this scenario?

Can anyone recommend an attorney in the southern Massachusetts area willing to take on this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back