Assault & Battery Assault after being verbally provoked

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp64082

The following events took place in Kansas City, MO. A friend of mine was provoked verbally (defamation with foul language) at work. He walked away the first time, but after the second time, he slapped the guy (we'll call him Bob) in the face and Bob fell to the ground (acting job?). The company called for an ambulance even though there was no apparent injury and the police came as well. Upon arrival, the EMS felt that there were no injuries, but Bob insisted he be taken to the hospital. He proceeded to get a battery of tests and x-rays done. Not surprisingly, no injures were found. My friend was charged with assault in the 3rd degree and is scheduled to appear in court in 2 months. He has been fired from his job as well. Bob to this point has not filed any additional suits, but some are encouraging him to do so to get some money out of this.

What are my friend's options at this point? Can he use a self defense as his defense? Would he have to pay for the ambulance fees ($700) and for the tests that Bob took ($$). Does he absolutely have to attain an attorney? What is his best course of action at this point?

I know I've asked quite a few questions, but I'm really looking for some real help at this point. Thanks in advance.

Ignoring Bob would have been a better tactic

Can he use a self defense as his defense?
No . . .he was not in physical danger, just verbal
Would he have to pay for the ambulance fees ($700) and for the tests that Bob took ($$).
Most likely
Does he absolutely have to attain an attorney?
Not to would be foolish

Bob to this point has not filed any additional suits, but some are encouraging him to do so to get some money out of this.
The only money will be paid for Bobs out of pocket medical
bills (as per the receipts) as he seemingly suffered no major
or long lasting damage

what to do

Go to court, ask for a public defender as you won't really need a really good one. At the trial just tell the judge what happened, this exact thing happened to my friend except he broke the guys nose, just told the judge the story and got off scot-free. It falls into the category of "Fighting words".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back