Arrested for shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callman1

Hello! Three days ago I was caught shoplifting at (retail store). I used the self checkout to pay for all the clothes and the machine was acting weird saying I had an unidentified object in my bag. After standing there for five minutes and trying to figure out what was wrong, the machine let me pay and I proceeded to leave (retail store) when a guy came up to me and asked me why I hadn't payed for the sweatpants in my bag. I tried to tell him that the machine was acting weird, but he wouldn't hear it and he took me to the (retail store) office and made me empty my purse. Now, INSIDE my purse I did have mascara and three nail polishes. He filed a report and called the police. The police took me down to the station and got my fingerprints and gave me a citation. The officer was extremely nice and told me to see the magistrate as soon as possible because I leave for college in a week. I gave them the dates I'll be home next and the citation where I pleaded not guilty, and they told me they'll try to accommodate those dates but if it doesn't work out I'll have to request a continuance. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I get a public defender or consult an attorney? I don't want to spend anymore money than I already have to because the magistrate said I'll have to pay a 300$ fine?! I'm really sorry for what I did and I regret even trying it! I really need help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's generally not a choice. If you can afford your own attorney, you will not qualify for a public defender.

You are only assigned a Public defender if you cannot afford your own as stated. When you talk to your Attorney ask about ACD or Diversion as plea options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back