Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft arrested for petty theft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzofied

I was arrested yesterday with petty theft for 70 dollars at a retail store.

I told the LP security that it was a misunderstanding... i was trying on some clothes in a fitting room and thats when i accidentally threw in a shirt that i didnt purchase in a bag full of things that I did purchase and was caught leaving the store without paying for it.

I told the LP it was a misundertanding and that I would fully pay for the shirt but he didnt buy my story. I just wanted to cooperate and hope that he would let me go. they ended up taking my picture, said that the police would be coming and i could explain it to them. the police officer came and since I had a prior petty theft that I and am currently under unsupervised probation for with just a year left in my probation and getting it expunged.

but instead i ended up getting arrested, they released me and cited me a ticket to appear in court and do a pre booking at a jail before I go to my court date...

what can I do?

I know I shoudl get a lawyer but im wondering, how much something like this would cost me?

The thing is...this was honestly a big mistake. I learned from my previous mistakes and I was begging to the LP that this was unintentional and that I could even pay for everything but he didnt buy it... he did what he had to do and turned me over to the police.

I had a clean record on my probation up until this point and im at lost in what to do?

I have been doing a lot of reading on this on the forums and Im still not sure as to what is going to happen if they dont believe that I would not intentionally steal merchandise especially if I can pay for it... I guess the hard part is in proving that it was all a bad mistake on my part but now I feel that im phucked!??! (pardon my french)

I read that I should compile letters or reccomondation from my employer and stuff but how much can that really help in helping me getting this cleared?? i am truly an idiot for slipping and putting myself in this tough situation... How could I of been so careless to not realize that I had a shirt that I didnt pay for in the bag... what can I do? if anyone can please help...

one more question...how soon do I have to notify the probation authorities even if im on unsupervised probation?

well, about the attorney this isn't a civil matter, rather a criminal one, so the courts should be appointing you an attorney.
I don't know what state you are in, but a simular thing happened to someone I know and they sued the heck out of the store and won.
The bad thing is you left, you had a good arguement until you left that store, then it was clear, you wasn't going to pay for the item.
You need an attorney, the arguement is pretty good since you did purchase other items. Mistakes happen, it's really up to the judge now but you need to contact the court to find out about getting your court attorney.
About the notifying of your parole officer. Better sooner than later, but again, you need an attorney, that's clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back