Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant arrested for driving with suspended license (dwls) what can happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmig2929

hi, this is my first post and i hope i am doing this right. My license was suspended for receiving two traffic tickets. i was caught driving with a suspended license (got pulled over for having an expired license plate sticker). the cop arrested me :( on the spot and i had to bail myself out. i had already planned to motion a ticket and get my license reinstated but before i could do that i was arrested. so i motioned a ticket and got court supervision after i had already been arrested for dwls. Will it help me in court that I have motioned a ticket and now I can legally drive? what can happen to me? can i actually go to jail?

i go to school, i am 20 years old, record is clean beside couple of traffic tickets one for speeding 12mph over and one for driving on the shoulder. i know dwls is charged as a class a misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of a year in jail and/or 2500 fine in the very expensive state of Illinois. please help, i would appreciate your thoughts.

p.s. i have a lawyer whose secretary promised me that he will see me in court (for the first time), and he would know all about my case so I wont have to explain it to him. So I pretty much have no knowledge of what's going to happen to my driving privileges and would I face jail time? I go to court on the first week of sep. so i wanted the viewers opinion and see what i am exactly facing here. Please please please reply anything you can on this post and I would follow up asap. thanks

yeah i know i have to do that, but i just called his secratary today and got little info. i still have to pay them, so when i go there to pay, i would bug him with my questions. :)

Make sure you know exactly what he is going to do, because he is reresenting you, obviously. How do you know what your lawyer is going to do if you just meet him for the first time the day of court? If he still won't meet you or answer your questions until the day of, I would start looking for a new lawyer...but this is just my .02, some people might say to just go with it. Its up to you.

i know that i have to see the lawyer before i go to court but this is a traffic violation court. it works differently. when i first went to court (without a lawyer) in aug i saw bunch of people looking for their lawyer and most of the lawyers would say like one or two line and the guy is off the hook. but their cases could have been little different then mine. and since i didn't have a lawyer judge gave me a new date in sep.

bigmig2929 said:
i know that i have to see the lawyer before i go to court but this is a traffic violation court. it works differently. when i first went to court (without a lawyer) in aug i saw bunch of people looking for their lawyer and most of the lawyers would say like one or two line and the guy is off the hook. but their cases could have been little different then mine. and since i didn't have a lawyer judge gave me a new date in sep.

Do you have a public defender or did you hire a lawyer yourself?

i hierd a lawyer for like 400 dollars, i was offered a bar attorney the first time i was in court, but he was somewhere smoking a joint so they just gave me a new date and asked me to bring my own lawyer.

bigmig2929 said:
i hierd a lawyer for like 400 dollars, i was offered a bar attorney the first time i was in court, but he was somewhere smoking a joint so they just gave me a new date and asked me to bring my own lawyer.

Your best bet would be to call and ask him any questions you have then.

yeah i know my best bet would be to ask the lawyer but i just hired him today and its gonna take some time for him to dig up my records and see what are my chances. and yeah i can ask him to guess but i already did that with three other lawyers and they don't guess anything until you start paying them and give them some time to dig up my records. so thats why i am on the forum asking people for their opinion because i don't wanna wait to find out whats gonna happen. its really unlikly that the state would put me in jail because the only thing i have done wrong in past is taht i have received two traffic tickets. and i dought that i would go to jail for a year because of them tickets which susupended my license. but i'll rest easy when i find out for sure or from other people on the forum who might know much about this for a fact.

bigmig2929 said:
yeah i know my best bet would be to ask the lawyer but i just hired him today and its gonna take some time for him to dig up my records and see what are my chances. and yeah i can ask him to guess but i already did that with three other lawyers and they don't guess anything until you start paying them and give them some time to dig up my records. so thats why i am on the forum asking people for their opinion because i don't wanna wait to find out whats gonna happen. its really unlikly that the state would put me in jail because the only thing i have done wrong in past is taht i have received two traffic tickets. and i dought that i would go to jail for a year because of them tickets which susupended my license. but i'll rest easy when i find out for sure or from other people on the forum who might know much about this for a fact.

I understand what your are saying. I just thought it to be silly to ask an online forum questions about your case when your are a paying a lawyer for that. He/She will be able to answer those questions a lot better then anyone else. My guess is that because you are only 20 and you don't have any priors, you'll probably get probation, community service(maybe), and a probationary license of some sort. Or your license could be suspended longer or revoked(doubtful). Oh yeah, good luck with your insurance rates LOL...j/k

my insurance is already off the roof, nothing i can do about that. yeah i can always drive a little responsibly but that probably wont happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back