Are my Privacy Rights being violated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonneko

I am 22 years old and I feel as if my privacy is being violated. Earlier this year in January, my mother told me that she hired a private investigator to follow me around, and I believe it started late last year (about Nov/Dec). My step-dad's nephew works for the police department and I don't remember his title, but he does criminal investigations, and my mother said that she asked for his help in this and I guess him and an investigator worked together. I asked her why and she said because she wants to "protect" me. I think this is completely ridiculous. Then yesterday she confronted me again, saying that they had transcripts of my cell phone conversations and logs of my text messages from my phone and that she read them. She said she was not allowed to take them home, but she did say some things that there would have been no way of her knowing unless she read the transcripts. But she did show me all the logs she's gotten (incoming/outgoing calls and text messages to and from what phone number). She also named additional places and things I did that she wouldn't have known unless someone was really watching me.

Is there a way to stop this? I didn't give anyone the right to divulge my information. I am not a criminal nor have I ever been. And I am not a minor so I don't think this is right. What can I do to stop letting the police or whomever is giving her this information? I know my mother would not stop if I asked her to, even though she may say she will, I have a feeling she will still secretly do it. Is there someone I can talk to at the police department or the Long Beach courthouse? Thank you in advance for your help!

The police would have no reason to follow you around ... would they? Plus, tapping your phone is a headache, and not something they'd likely do.

Who pays for the phone? Do you live at home?

If mom is this loony that she is having you followed, perhaps it's time to get out of the house, buy your own phone services, etc.

- Carl

The police would have no reason to follow you around ... would they? Plus, tapping your phone is a headache, and not something they'd likely do.

Who pays for the phone? Do you live at home?

If mom is this loony that she is having you followed, perhaps it's time to get out of the house, buy your own phone services, etc.

- Carl

No, like I said I haven't committed any crimes or anything of that sort or even gotten a traffic ticket. If she hired a PI, are they able to tap phones? Who has the right to do that?

There are ways to capture cell or wireless transmissions, but they generally are not legal. It's easier if mom owns the phone and has access to all the account info. Perhaps you are speaking in places where you can be overheard? Perhaps your room or car are bugged?

In any event, if she is doing all this, it is VERY, VERY expensive! The transcription alone would take about one hour of transcription time for every 12 minutes of conversation (at God knows how many dollars per hour). Then when you add in equipment, manpower, etc., you're talking about hundreds of dollars every day!! Is your mom loaded?!

Either you are delusional, or, your mom is nuts.

You still did not answer my prior question: Do you live at home? Does mom provide everything for you? if she does, get out, get a job, and get your own stuff ... make it harder for her to poke around.

- Carl

There are ways to capture cell or wireless transmissions, but they generally are not legal. It's easier if mom owns the phone and has access to all the account info. Perhaps you are speaking in places where you can be overheard? Perhaps your room or car are bugged?

In any event, if she is doing all this, it is VERY, VERY expensive! The transcription alone would take about one hour of transcription time for every 12 minutes of conversation (at God knows how many dollars per hour). Then when you add in equipment, manpower, etc., you're talking about hundreds of dollars every day!! Is your mom loaded?!

Either you are delusional, or, your mom is nuts.

You still did not answer my prior question: Do you live at home? Does mom provide everything for you? if she does, get out, get a job, and get your own stuff ... make it harder for her to poke around.

- Carl

I'm on a shared family cell plan with her (on contract). There's no way she could hear my convos because I am out of the house most of the time. Yes I do work, I just finished college, but I'm at home to help with other family issues (health-wise). I pay my own bills, gas, internet, etc. She is not loaded, but like I said she does know people, so they might have hooked her up or made a deal or who knows what. I'd like to know if I can go and talk to someone in the police dept or courthouse about this and prevent this all from happening.

You can certainly go TALK to the police, but without proof of your phone transmissions being unlawfully intercepted, there's no case. And there is no law against having a PI follow you around so long as he does not otherwise break the law.

She may "know" people, but this is a heck of an undertaking you describe. NO ONE is going to volunteer this kind of time and effort just to follow you around and make sure you don't get raped, or rolled.

What, exactly, are you doing that has mom so concerned?

- Carl

You can certainly go TALK to the police, but without proof of your phone transmissions being unlawfully intercepted, there's no case. And there is no law against having a PI follow you around so long as he does not otherwise break the law.

She may "know" people, but this is a heck of an undertaking you describe. NO ONE is going to volunteer this kind of time and effort just to follow you around and make sure you don't get raped, or rolled.

What, exactly, are you doing that has mom so concerned?

- Carl

I'm an only child and she is OVER protective. I never do drugs, I don't smoke, I don't come home late (after 12) except maybe once a month for a friend's bday party or what not, heck I don't even go to clubs. I've either been at work or school and don't really have time for a social life.

How much is the cost by the way to have all this done?

I'd say, conservatively, it would easily cost $200/day or more - not counting transcription and technical assistance. Realistically, it could cost up to $500 for each day!

You REALLY think she is nuts enough to spend that kind of money?

My suggestion: Move out.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back