Repairs, Maintenance Apt door damage? Do we have to pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance123

I live in an apartment in Wisconsin and recently the landlord stopped by for routine inspection of the property. While he was he noticed that one of our wooden doors (solid wood) was starting to crack. He then asked one of my roommates if he knew what happened to the door. No specific moment could be determined as to when the door became cracked. He said we would get charged for the door. About 1 week later we came home and found that where the door was cracked was a new guard over the handle of the door covering up the crack. A few days later we received a letter saying we must pay $100 for the damages to the door, but as far as I can see the door wasn't replaced, there was just a guard put over the crack. Are we really liable for the $100 door repair charge? Who is to say that crack didn't start years before we moved in and it is now starting to show? Keep in mind these are apartments close to a college so I am guessing the average resident only spends a year or two here. Do I have a case to say that this door damage isnt directly our fault and if it is a small guard should not cost us $100?

You are responsible for damages beyond reasonable wear and tear. You are responsible for the actual cost of repairs.
You are not required to pay anything unless ordered to by a judge. In court the landlord will have to produce evidence of the cost of the repair.
To avoid court and a soured relationship with the landlord, consider making a reasonable lesser offer to cover part of the cost for the repair that was done, but know that you do not have to pay anything at all yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back