Applying for job with the possibility of only staying 7 or 8 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
I am an attorney. Currently, the job I've been in as in-house counsel for about 8 years is unbearable for a variety of reasons. I also find it extremely boring, and I feel like I am wasting my life and brain cells every day I am there.

However, I applied for a graduate school program that is extremely difficult to get into. If I do get into it, I would leave my job in July or August and start grad school next August. Part of me wants to stay in my current job and just get through it since I may start grad school soon.

However, another part of me tells me to still seek a better opportunity because it is possible that I do not get into grad school this year, and have at least 19 or 20 months before I could enroll in grad school (or I might change my mind all together). I would hate to waste the next 8 months at my current job only to find out I was not offered admission to the program for which I applied and then had to wait another year. I'd rather work in a more enjoyable job the whole time.

However, as a legal professional and someone with a conscience, I would feel bad starting at a new place and then giving my notice 7 or 8 months later.

What would all of you do? Is it bad to only be in a job for that long? Do I have a duty to tell any prospective hiring manager that I may only be there for less than one year?

Thank you!

LOL, your duty is to yourself and your family (if you support one).

That said counselor, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT and LESS IS ALWAYS MORE!!!!

Life guarantees NOTHING, and opportunities are where and when you discover them, as they RARELY find you!!!!

I'd take a job that interests me, but I'd always follow the money!!!!

This is a decision only you can make. It would not be illegal to leave a job after 7-8 months without notifying your employer ahead of time this might happen. (just don't accept employment at a place where they require you to sign a contract that you will remain with the co. for a certain period of time - a year, 2 years .....for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back