Applying for Emergency Guardianship over a adult

Disabled Vet

Jurisdiction
Indiana
If a doctor tells the family you need to apply for emergency guardianship for a adult family member. So the family contacts a lawyer, fills out all the paperwork. Lawyer files with the court. Lawyer tells the family that it's up to the judge to proceed. Since it's been filed with the court, the lawyers office can't contact the court requesting the status. Is there anything that can be done to speed up this? Hard to believe that "Emergency Guardianship" would just sit on a judge docket without being addressed quickly. If this family member is released from the hospital and allowed to return home. He will most likely die there. How can one speed up the process?

If a doctor tells the family you need to apply for emergency guardianship for a adult family member. So the family contacts a lawyer, fills out all the paperwork. Lawyer files with the court. Lawyer tells the family that it's up to the judge to proceed. Since it's been filed with the court, the lawyers office can't contact the court requesting the status. Is there anything that can be done to speed up this? Hard to believe that "Emergency Guardianship" would just sit on a judge docket without being addressed quickly. If this family member is released from the hospital and allowed to return home. He will most likely die there. How can one speed up the process?
How long has it been?

How long has it been?

3 days today. Hospital called and they are releasing him today. YIKES... unless he can be forced to a rehabilitation place he will return home. He isn't able to stand on his own. He can't go to the bathroom. He was found numerous times just lying in his own urine/fecal matter. He doesn't eat since he can't get up. He doesn't take his medication even if it is laid out in daily containers. He refuses to go to anyone else house that can help him. It's nuts... I fully understand that taking guardianship over someone else is going against the rights I served for. Yet, it shouldn't be delayed even by a day if someone life is on the line.

Can someone stay with him in his house until the matter is heard?

Can someone stay with him in his house until the matter is heard?

I am the only one in this area that could do it. I have a spinal cord injury that prevents me from lifting him. I did that 2 weeks ago because he tried to get up and fell. It was a nightmare getting him back up in his chair. His couch is covered in fecal matter and urine. His so called care taker was buying him rum. He was going thru a gallon every 3 days. Sadly, he needs to be forced to go to rehab.

Back