Criminal Law Apply for citizenship with a DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

shysteeboi

Recently I was charged with DUI and I pleaded guilty. Now I am on a 3 year "Informal Probation." When I went to apply for citizenship, I told them about my situation. They were not sure whether or not the "informal probation" would affect my eligibility because they didn't know what "informal" meant. My informal probation is for 3 years. Does this mean that I cannot become a citizen for 3 years? Is there a difference between "informal probation" and just the normal probation?

Frequently, the term "informal probation" means that if you complete your probation, the case will be dismissed and it will be as though you have never been convicted or plead guilty. There will be a record of your arrest but no conviction. Under formal probation, a juvenile has been found by a court to be guilty of some specific finding. Under informal probation there is no such finding. In most informal probation cases, a court hearing has not been held because the probation department can directly impose this kind of sanction. If the juvenile successfully completes the informal probation, he or she will have no record of a juvenile crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back