Apologies on the navigation change - thought it worked

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
My apologies on the navigation change. We had thought it worked perfectly. For reasons I cannot explain, the way the "standard" navigation works at present in the core system is to have items on the top menu dropoff (so the stuff on the right side collapses) but on the subnavigation, the items on the left drop off first and then move all the way to the right. This is really weird. Still working on what can be done to resolve this.

Noted -thank you for all your work.

My apologies on the navigation change. We had thought it worked perfectly. For reasons I cannot explain, the way the "standard" navigation works at present in the core system is to have items on the top menu dropoff (so the stuff on the right side collapses) but on the subnavigation, the items on the left drop off first and then move all the way to the right. This is really weird. Still working on what can be done to resolve this.

There are other issues, too, at play on tablets and laptops.
For example, on a laptop, you can no longer choose latest posts, or newest posts.
On a tablet, it's a tad better, but that isn't saying much.
As difficult as it seemed, the best option might be to return to where it was before the "fixes" were applied?

Frankly, the older software performed far better.
However, I'm sure you had valid reasons for the change.

Problems were as follows - on Android the old navigation didn't work properly with the dropdown. Same with windows if you are using a touch screen. Click and the dropdown came open for a second and went right into the forum. It only worked as expected on a Mac, which was click, menu pops open, choose, and then move on. Those are more difficult to maintain on tablet devices and a two level approach was easiest and "standard." Here is the old:

old-site-forum.png

That dropdown was a pain, also when you brushed over it with your mouse the darn thing would pop open, etc. Note all the items on the dropdown. Here are some issues that occasionally also happened with the old.

problems-with-old.png

OK, now here is the new from the home page - notice how if you put your mouse on the forum, you get a dropdown with all the same items.

Home-Page.png

On the forum page you get the entire subnav below the main navigation.

forum-page.png

Unfortunately I'm finding that the standard is poor in several ways - although there are some improvements. Here is the new navigation as you make the width smaller. They did something so stupid it's hard to be believed but you'll see what happens.

new-menu-dropdown.png

Not only does it take items from the left side and put them into that little dropdown on the right (why instead of making the items on the right go into a nav like the main menu) but the ellipsis for the "more" menu is impossible to see. So I spent time tonight making it now much more conspicuous.

new-ellipsis.png

The mobile menu looks the same on the phone, which gives you both the option of this interface but also clicking the subnavigation that you see, which is a nice combination, whichever you prefer.

mobile-menu-new.png

When you say you can't choose latest posts or newest posts - can you explain? It's actually better than it was before in that you have both a second level menu and a mobile menu that will come in from the side. What laptop are you using - OS, screen size or model, etc. ? It's tough to troubleshoot without knowing the hardware and software.

Thanks so much all of you for the feedback!

Lenovo laptop, 14", last windows 7 & Dell laptop, 14", last windows 7
(won't upgrade beyond 7, because most of my clients and local county courts won't LOL).

iPad and iPad mini, both operating with iOS 6, certain, ahem, modifications have been applied. LOL

I have a little red 1 over the home page but I can't find what it is referring to.
Can you take a screen shot? That should not be happening and it probably is the alert. What system are you using? I don't see that happening anywhere here. The little red alerts should be above the Inbox and alerts.

I can take a screenshot - what I don't seem to be able to do is post it once I've taken it. I'm using Chrome on an HP with Windows 8. Up at the top of this page, at the far left I have a drop down menu still for Home and the little red 1 is directly above that. I have checked my friend requests and my alerts; no apparent relationship.

Do you mean all the way above home at the very top, in the "moderation bar" above the brown top menu? If you want to attach the file, just click the "Upload a File" button below the reply so I can see to what you're referring. We can delete it after if you wish.

chrome-extension://nlipoenfbbikpbjkfpfillcgkoblgpmj/edit.html#

I think I succeeded in emailing it to you, Michael. I have new screenshot software and I'm still figuring it out how to use it.

There's a blue bar at the very top; that has a white 0. Then there's the brown moderation bar. Then there's the website logo. Then there's a blue navigation bar. It's over Home on the blue navigation bar.

Last edited:
thelaw.png
I think the circled is what cbg is seeing. I see it, too, using Firefox 43.02 on Windows7 SP1.

THAT. Wow... OK... I am going to have to figure out what to do long term... I guess I can disable it for now. It's a notification that new articles have been posted for you to view in the articles section. Wow... it's so timely you mentioned this and I am grateful you did! Thanks very much @KatDini !!! Click on it and you should see what's new.

There is a lot planned for this week. :) I think the new modifications are coming around nicely and we have a new splash for new users. Will also have the jurisdiction issue nailed down once and for all with an interface that will even be vieweable for @army judge on his iStuff with all the "enhancements." :) At least i think it should work...

Later I'll post a before and after from where we were six months ago. It's pretty jaw dropping.

Other news -- we'll probably go https / SSL before end of year making the site more "secure" than it was in the past. (Truth is that most of the hackers don't really care about your data on this site - they want to post all their spam!)

Thanks, Kat. That was exactly what it was. Michael, I tried a dozen times to save the screen shot but obviously I didn't do it right. I really need to sit down with the software and figure it out.

Maybe it has been fixed but on my laptop I can see/choose latest & newest posts -HP windows 7 & 14"

Sorry. I was thinking AJ couldn't see/choose newest or latest posts anywhere on home page. I see newest posts link under Home & latest posts link to the right. They take me to those posts.

Back