Apartment viewing privacy issue between tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

GustavsGos

I live in an apartment where two buildings are in close proximity to one another. It couldn't be more than 100 feet. It so happens that my window faces the entry ways of the two apartments adjacent to mine, upstairs and downstairs. Both tenants accross the way have taken up the habit of lingering outside their apartments where they stare into my open window at me while I work at a desk. When they stand there, there is really nothing else to look at. One of them has a chair there where he will sit and drink a morning coffee or something. I have complained to the manager who has explained to me that the doorsteps where they park themselves are their "personal areas" where they have a right to spend as much time as they want. I suppose that I could just close the curtains, but it seems to me that my rights to privacy supercede these tenant's rights to these "personal spaces".

I've thought long and hard about this and I imagine that it has been an issue in high rises where somebody has a balcony adjacent to somebody else's balcony and some tenant has decided it would be amusing to point a telescope at the windows of an adjacent apartment. Or even just the resident of somebody enjoying their own balcony. Of course, these are two different properties, which is an additional complication. How do people deal with somebody making somebody else's window the object of attention in an apartment complex?

Q: How do people deal with somebody making somebody else's window the object of attention in an apartment complex?

A: Ignore them.

Sorry, that does not qualify as a solution. It's bad enough to stand in public and find somebody staring at you, it's even worse if you are in your own residence. It is harassment. I'm sure at some level it is against the law to stare into somebody's window. An obvious case is the problem with "peeping toms", people who seek out bedroom windows where they can covertly spy on people having sex. To advise the victims to "Ignore them" would be a mockery of their basic rights to privacy.

...Sorry, that does not qualify as a solution....

Okay....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back