Apartment Security Issue; Landlord Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwalther

I live in a building that is advertised as being secure in Studio City, Ca. Alarm systems are installed in each apartment, underground parking has electronic gate and no access without gate key or apartment key. The area is upper middle class, however, as it is located in LA, there are less well-off surrounding areas.

In the past three months, I have filed three separate police reports due three separate incidents that occurred in the 'secure' underground parking area. My locked bike was stolen (many tenants keep bikes in garage), my car was vandalized (paint ruined, grill broken), and my car was broken into (window broken, personal items taken, gate key taken). Although first two instances occurred only to me, the third break-in involved several other tenants cars.

The apartment manager failed to respond to the second incident, although she had videos of the suspect. After the third incident, she was urged to change the underground automatic gate keys by the investigating detective, but instead changed the main building apartment key. She is now seeking to raise the rent for my apartment, and has harassed me because of the incidents, stating I must have enemies, I must be incompetent, etc.

Do I have any legal recourse? Can I sue the apartment manager for not properly responding and securing the premises? I have lost over $2000 worth of personal goods, not to mention losing peace of mind over what was advertised as secure living. Any recommendations/legal advice preferred:)

Thank you!

You don't have much of a complaint to make against the landlord.
Would you also blame the landlord if someone had broken in to your home?
These are reasons why you should have good auto and renters insurance.

Actually I don't know who vandalized my car the second time, she refused to provide video tapes. The neighbor next door is in fact suspect.

It's the security issue that I'm concerned with - that's where my complaint lies. Obviously underground parking is not secure if it has been breached three times in the past few months - so it should not be advertised as such.

Bottomline is your building landlord is not accountable for these actions unless he did them. The building provides security measures but does not guarantee its secure! You have no action against landlord or building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back