Apartment Move Out Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadoxy

I recently moved out of a pre-furnished student-living type apartment. Each room was rented separately.

Upon moving out, I was sent a bill for a missing desk chair in my room (~$91), however, none of the rooms in our apartment were furnished with chairs.

I went there with one of my previous roommates to discuss the issue with the manager, and he claimed that he spoke to the maintenance manager and that all rooms are furnished with chairs.

We had a move-in checklist which has desk chair on the list, but as I didn't see a chair, I didn't think to mark it missing/damaged. Everything else in the apartment was marked as present/acceptable.

Anyhow, the manager has threatened to put the bill towards collections, and I am not at all interested in having my credit damaged. What can I do here? I am planning on going in later with both of my previous roommates so we can all explain that none of our rooms were furnished with chairs. However, the manager seemed pretty adamant. If, after this, he still claims we owe him the money, what should I do?

Thanks in advance, and I can answer any other questions that might help explain my situation.

Last edited:
You pay their extortionate demands or take a hit against your credit, unless you can reach a compromise.

Try to negotiate your way our of the $100 unarmed robbery.

Be polite, courteous, deferential, and beg. It might work.
Otherwise, pay up to avoid further issues.

Agreed 100% with army judge. What might help you is to find out what type of chair was supposedly in the room (after all, how are they arriving at $91?) They should not be able to charge for full price for a new chair and find what a used one might cost, ebay / craigs list. See what you can do to negotiate out of the "unarmed robbery" first and, if you can't, negotiate the price down and don't be surprised if you're not getting the most favorable settlement. For this kind of money, it's worth just settling and learning for next time.

With the chair listed on the list then unless the manager gives you a break then do as the others said and pay it to keep it from your credit report. Good luck.

agree with above..... price needs to be adjusted for used chair value. If this apartment has other units you could check with them about the missing chair. If you know the previous tenants maybe you could check with them.

Again as stated above the 91.00 is alot cheaper then trying to repair your credit.

good luck

Michael

We had a move-in checklist which has desk chair on the list, but as I didn't see a chair, I didn't think to mark it missing/damaged.

You will lose if they sue. Accident or not, you didn't account for the missing chair when you moved in. You are responsible for it now. Had you simply marked it missing you wouldn't have this problem now.
It is a petty amount. Pay it off and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back