1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Any way to claim portions of rent back from uneven rent split? Roomate

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by Jerbear, Mar 24, 2019.

  1. Jerbear

    Jerbear Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    We are three tenants that have already moved out of a house that we all lived in the past year. There was one tenant who we all give our rent and utilities to, who has lived there for the last 4 years. He is currently still on the lease.

    We recently found out after moving out that he was making us pay an extraordinarily high portion of the rent, to which he himself is paying what we estimate to be little to none. During the end of each month we all pay him the amount he tells us, and he makes a final total payment to the rental agency.

    Now that we have moved out and just found out about this, is there any legal way for us to claim back rent that we feel was unevenly portioned by him? I do not feel so as there are no provisions in the lease that specifies how rent must be split, but I do just want to confirm.


    Some other concerns include that during our time there were multiple illegal pets running around the house and also several illegal housemates including one residing in the garage. If we tell the rental agency now about these things (which are still likely happening at the house), can we get in trouble with the law as well? Keep in mind we have moved out but our experience living here was poor, and the reason we want to do this is to let the rental agency know what this tenant is doing.
  2. mightymoose

    mightymoose Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    No. You won't get anything back. Sorry, there is nothing to do.

Share This Page