Any Rent Increase Limit for Tenant who residing for 22 yrs?

HJ74365

Jurisdiction
California
I wonder if you could kindly help me with 2 issues.

1. I've been renting a townhouse in the Los Angeles area for 22 and a half years.

The prior management company was very lenient with regard to rent increases.

Since at times the real estate market was very bad, in some years, they would not increase my rent at all.

When the real estate market was hot, they would increase my rent by about $100.

However, over the past 3 years, the management company has changed and the new company increased my rent by $100 during the first 2 years.

This year, however, they increased my rent by $200.

My rent used to be $2050 and as of May 1st, it will be $2,250.

The other townhouses in the building are being rented for $2,600.

However, I still feel that I should have been given a smaller rent increase for the following reasons.

Since about 8 years ago, the prior management company as well as the current one have completely remodeled and renovated all of the townhomes once they were vacant.

In fact, they have remodeled and renovated a number of units several times.

The management companies have installed dark hardwood laminate floors throughout each unit, built high ceilings, remodeled the kitchens, installed new stoves, built new granite counter tops, etc.

On the other hand, over the past 22 plus years, they have never remodeled and renovated my apartment or made any major changes.

My apartment currently needs to have major changes done as the moquettes, blinds, heater, etc., need to be replaced.

Over the past 22 and a half years, many tenants have come and gone. I think that, on average, tenants would stay in their apartments for only about 2 years or so.

Once the tenants would leave, often their units would remain vacant for many months before a new tenant moved in, whereas I've been living in my apartment consistently over many years.

I wanted to ask the management company to reconsider its rent increase based on the fact that I have been living in the apartment for well over 22 years, and that, unlike the other units, no major changes, renovations and remodeling have taken place in my apartment, and the condition of the apartment has deteriorated considerably?

Would such an argument make any sense?

Are there any laws or regulations that provide any protection for longtime tenants against rent increases?

2. If I can't get the management company to reconsider the rent increase, I would like to move out of the apartment and go to a smaller and more affordable place.

A friend of mine told me that since I have been living in the apartment for such a long period of time, the company would have to pay me interest on the deposit funds I gave the company over 22 years ago. Is that true?

Since the apartment has deteriorated considerably due to wear and tear and the fact that no major improvements or changes were made to the unit over the years, I'm afraid that I may get hit with a huge bill for repairs, and that I would end up owing the company a great deal of money.

Is there anything I can do to decrease the chances of getting hit with a huge repair bill once I leave?

If anyone could provide any advice, guidance and assistance regarding the above issues, I would be deeply grateful.

Thank you very much for your kind attention, time and help.

Henry

You can send this message to the leasing manager. Explain the above. Maybe they will see your point. They have the right to increase rent after the lease is expired.

If you're renting in a RENT CONTROLLED BUILDING OR FROM SUCH A PROPERTY, rent increases are rare and low.

You need to check with the "rent control board" in your area to serif your property is rent controlled.

Rent control is a special set of laws that particular cities adopt. It generally includes rent increase
limits and eviction restrictions. Some cities' rent controls require relocation assistance to be paid to
tenants under certain circumstances, and interest on security deposits. Check the list.

These laws do not apply to other cities, nor to every rental unit in the city. One of the most
commonly misunderstood ideas by tenants is that they were under rent control, when they weren't.
Don't assume. Find out. For a simplified look at Los Angeles rent control, look here.

Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood have rent control, but Glendale, Burbank, Torrance, Pasadena, Downey, and other cities nearby have nothing like it. Tenants may live in
such places as Encino, Van Nuys, Northridge, San Pedro, Venice, and Hollywood, and think they
do not live in "Los Angeles." However, these are all parts of the City of Los Angeles, and not separate
cities, at all. These are rent controlled areas. Here's a map to help you determine if you're an Angeleno.

In contrast, people living in this general area of the country we call "LA" may actually live in a
separate city, falsely believing that they have rent control to protect them. If you are in the Los Angeles area and pay water and electricity, check your bill to see what city is getting it. Los Angeles has "DWP" as their utility.

Adding to the confusion is what structures have rent control. Just because they are in a rent
controlled city does not include them within the protection of those laws. For example, Los Angeles
passed rent control in 1978 amid cries from the landlords that rent control would prevent future
apartment construction, so Los Angeles exempted any structure built after October, 1978 as a
political compromise. Newer structures [built after 1978] in Los Angeles are not under rent control, at all.

Under the "Costa-Hawkins" law, when a tenant voluntarily leaves or is evicted for most reasons [ie, not 30-day notice, nor after change of a term, for that term], the landlord can raise the rent to ANY AMOUNT for the new tenant, whose rents are thereafter locked into the rent control limits [3% or whatever]. Any rental unit built after 2/1/95, as well as houses and condos, are not under rent restrictions. Even where these rent restrictions do not apply, eviction protections do continue.

Two new additions to LA Rent Control are worth noting. Ordinance 175130 [3/5/03] now prohibits the landlord from changing terms of tenancy [other than legal rent increases and government required terms] without mutual agreement of the tenant. Ordinance 174501 prohibits landlords from raising the tenant's portion of rent [eg, beyond the legal 3%] after terminating a rental assistance program, like Section 8; the landlord can get out of the program, but gives up all the assistance money if he does.

What California Rental Properties Are Exempt From Rent Control Rules? | Nolo.com

Housing Rights Center : Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions - Landlord/Tenant

LA Landlords Pushing Out All the Rent-Controlled Apartments

Unless you are in a rent controlled unit, the increase is entirely legal and hardly out of line. They are already getting considerably less for your unit, perhaps because it is not renovated. You haven't vacated so renovating would be difficult. In any case, the landlord sets the rent. You are lucky that in 22 years your rent has never increased by more than $100.

You can send this message to the leasing manager. Explain the above. Maybe they will see your point. They have the right to increase rent after the lease is expired.

Thank you, DisabledVet. I have sent an email to the management company in the hope that perhaps they will be lenient. Thank you once again for your kind advice. Henry

If you're renting in a RENT CONTROLLED BUILDING OR FROM SUCH A PROPERTY, rent increases are rare and low.

You need to check with the "rent control board" in your area to serif your property is rent controlled.

Rent control is a special set of laws that particular cities adopt. It generally includes rent increase
limits and eviction restrictions. Some cities' rent controls require relocation assistance to be paid to
tenants under certain circumstances, and interest on security deposits. Check the list.

These laws do not apply to other cities, nor to every rental unit in the city. One of the most
commonly misunderstood ideas by tenants is that they were under rent control, when they weren't.
Don't assume. Find out. For a simplified look at Los Angeles rent control, look here.

Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood have rent control, but Glendale, Burbank, Torrance, Pasadena, Downey, and other cities nearby have nothing like it. Tenants may live in
such places as Encino, Van Nuys, Northridge, San Pedro, Venice, and Hollywood, and think they
do not live in "Los Angeles." However, these are all parts of the City of Los Angeles, and not separate
cities, at all. These are rent controlled areas. Here's a map to help you determine if you're an Angeleno.

In contrast, people living in this general area of the country we call "LA" may actually live in a
separate city, falsely believing that they have rent control to protect them. If you are in the Los Angeles area and pay water and electricity, check your bill to see what city is getting it. Los Angeles has "DWP" as their utility.

Adding to the confusion is what structures have rent control. Just because they are in a rent
controlled city does not include them within the protection of those laws. For example, Los Angeles
passed rent control in 1978 amid cries from the landlords that rent control would prevent future
apartment construction, so Los Angeles exempted any structure built after October, 1978 as a
political compromise. Newer structures [built after 1978] in Los Angeles are not under rent control, at all.

Under the "Costa-Hawkins" law, when a tenant voluntarily leaves or is evicted for most reasons [ie, not 30-day notice, nor after change of a term, for that term], the landlord can raise the rent to ANY AMOUNT for the new tenant, whose rents are thereafter locked into the rent control limits [3% or whatever]. Any rental unit built after 2/1/95, as well as houses and condos, are not under rent restrictions. Even where these rent restrictions do not apply, eviction protections do continue.

Two new additions to LA Rent Control are worth noting. Ordinance 175130 [3/5/03] now prohibits the landlord from changing terms of tenancy [other than legal rent increases and government required terms] without mutual agreement of the tenant. Ordinance 174501 prohibits landlords from raising the tenant's portion of rent [eg, beyond the legal 3%] after terminating a rental assistance program, like Section 8; the landlord can get out of the program, but gives up all the assistance money if he does.

Wow! Thanks Army Judge for the wealth of information you provided.
Unfortunately, the property I'm living in is not under rent control so I don't think I can get some limitation in the rent increase based on laws. I just sent the management company an email setting forth my reasons for a limitation to the rent increase to $100. I guess that's the only option I have.

I found the information about rent control areas to be quite interesting. If only we were lucky enough to live in a building that came under the rent control ordinance. Then we would have a number of important protections.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Henry

What California Rental Properties Are Exempt From Rent Control Rules? | Nolo.com

Housing Rights Center : Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions - Landlord/Tenant

LA Landlords Pushing Out All the Rent-Controlled Apartments

Unless you are in a rent controlled unit, the increase is entirely legal and hardly out of line. They are already getting considerably less for your unit, perhaps because it is not renovated. You haven't vacated so renovating would be difficult. In any case, the landlord sets the rent. You are lucky that in 22 years your rent has never increased by more than $100.

Thanks ElleMD for your time and thoughts. I guess I should consider myself lucky that they never increased the rent by more than $100 per year.

Henry

Back