any chance i could sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdanny33

been to the horse track maybe two or three times in my life... my wife and i decide to do an off-track betting thing for the belmont stakes because her name is tara and her favorite number is 6... the horse we want to bet is Da'Tara, the No. 6. I go to the betting window, tell the lady i want to bet the Belmont Stakes (mind you im in massachusetts, not at the actual Belmont), give her the horse's name, number and amount of money i want to bet... go home with my tickets, watch the race and think that I've won. A 38-1 shot, and we bet $50 to win and place as well as $100 to show. i go to cash the ticket after the race and am told the tickets are not winners... that the teller who took my original wager a few hours earlier gave me the No. 6 horse in Race 10 at Belmont (which was not the Belmont Stakes)... what i wanted was the No. 6 horse for Race 11 at Belmont... i had no program, so i didnt even know there was a difference, just told the lady Belmont Stakes... anyway, i ask to talk to a manager and after some hemming and hawing he says he feels my pain and would try to get me a refund, the $200 which i bet, but that he wouldn't/couldn't honor the tickets. if the teller had properly entered my bet i would have won $3415, instead i'm looking at getting my $200 back at best.
Is there any way I can get the $3415 I feel as though I'm entitled to?
It wasnt like i was there all day betting race after race, i went with one objective, and that was to bet the belmont stakes. the manager admitted he didnt think i was pulling a fast one, but also admitted that people try stuff like that all the time.

Sorry, but I doubt you will be able to get the money unless the track acknowledges that it was their error in their entirety. I suspect that if things go to court, they will say that your instructions were unclear, that you should have reviewed the ticket(s) after their purchase, and generally deny any responsibility.

Be lucky if you get the $200 back.

And given the amount, you would have to take this to small claims court. You can if you want, but unless they are foolish enough to admit that THEY screwed up, I can't see you will win.

Sorry.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back