anxious about meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConfusedMummy

hello, i've just registered - have read the rules and hopefully do have right place, but i'm not too sure what this post would go under so i put general so hopefully that will cover my question. i'm not too sure ifi will be able to help others, but maybe with time i will be able to contribute here and there.

my question, i've been having problems with in laws (well i say inlaws me and partner aren't married nor do we live together if that matters) they haven't made an effort to see mine and partners son for past 12months+ and this week i received a letter saying to reply within a set number of days or they would be placing matter in their solicitors hands as they are saying i've stopped them from seeing my son, i've just stopped himgoing down their house as i feel very worried and anxious there, but have said they can visit us here at our home anytime. i replied to the letter. in the letter i stated i was scared and intimidated by them (have previously been threatend with a 'slap'), but they were welcome to visit anytime, me hoping that in my own home i would feel better and more comfortable. partners parents must have read letter then phoned up having a go (yet again) and made threats to take me to court for 'slander' and accused my partner of 'discrimination' and then threatened to 'knock out' my partner. these are the people who want to supposidley see my son but in past year+ have made no effort to. after 1st phonecall parents phoned back up and wanted to arrange a 'neutral ground' meeting place. i'm really worried and anxious to say the least and wasn't thinking and just want there to be no hassell and said 'what ever, i'm not bothered' and it was arranged. after all we've gone through with the family and the threats me and my partner are really really worried about having our son in that kind of enviroment - especially after the threat again on the phone. is there anything that can be done? do i have to go see these people? i don't trust them, i'm intimidated and scared and don't want my son around them with me or otherwise. any help of anything i can do legally to stop this hassell and stop these people coming near me or my son would be greatly appreciated. i don't know where to start to get information. im a full timemum so don't have alot of money to go to solicitors to ask for advice to be honest. thank you for any advice. i just wanted to add although i know it's wrote above that i'm from the uk.

The forum you've placed it under is fine.

The problem I see, and it may not be an insurmountable one but I can't be sure, is that this is primarily a US forum. The laws in the US and the UK are very different and I'm not certain that any of our regulars are familiar with UK law.

Of course it's possible that someone may come along who does know family law in the UK but I certainly can't tell you when it will happen, if it does.

The best advice I can give you, if no one happens by soon with an answer for you, is to consult with a solicitor. At least in the US, you can usually get a free or low-cost consultation without having to hire him or her. That would at least let you know your options. And if you did need to hire one, time enough then to talk to him about payment.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back