Antennas, Descramblers, and personal channels

foxkidsforever

okay so kinda cheating here because I'm actually asking more then one question, but who cares.

Anyway, what happens if you hook a cable descrambler to something like an indoor antenna with literally no cable company cable attached to it in the slightest?

If it would work would that be legal since you're NOT conneted to their systems and trying to steal it.

And IF I were to make a pirate channel specifically for my house only, could I add old shows that I watched growing up to it? Y'know stuff from the 90's like Darkwing Duck, Power Ranges, Ect, could I actually do that since it's for personal use, or would it still be deemed illegal.

if you could answer these questions that'd be great thanks.

okay so kinda cheating here because I'm actually asking more then one question, but who cares.

Anyway, what happens if you hook a cable descrambler to something like an indoor antenna with literally no cable company cable attached to it in the slightest?

If it would work would that be legal since you're NOT conneted to their systems and trying to steal it.

And IF I were to make a pirate channel specifically for my house only, could I add old shows that I watched growing up to it? Y'know stuff from the 90's like Darkwing Duck, Power Ranges, Ect, could I actually do that since it's for personal use, or would it still be deemed illegal.

if you could answer these questions that'd be great thanks.

It would probably be considered illegal, but as long as you did it for your EXCLUSIVE use, no one is likely to care.
Now, when I say no one, I mean the cable companies or the FCC.

If you have a HAM radio operator nearby, some other audiophile hobbyist, or electronics aficionado; he or she might become interested in teh signal that could leak across your property boundaries.

The FCC does send teams around the country to "sniff" out the airwaves, and you could pique their curiosity.

The chances of any of that happening, very low, but still a remote possibility.

If you live in a very populous area (New York City, Boston, Chicago, LA, etc...) the chances you could be discovered might be a tad higher.

All in all, keep a low profile, don't brag about your exploits, no one is likely to know.

I am not encouraging you to break the law, or sanctioning anyone to break the law.

My response was given in regard to your "what if" scenario.

Finally, if you proceed and do get caught, my professional advice remains: DON'T BREAK THEIR LAWS!

Back