Ant problem and breaking lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevin

Hello and thank you adhead of time for your advice.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in nashville, TN. The day after moving in i noticed we had a small ant problem so i contacted them and told them about it and they said they would put me on the list for the exterminator (she comes only on wensdays once a week no matter what).

Well she did her thing and said that the ants should be gone soon. I have had to call them every single week since Oct. 8th 2004 and we STILL have an ant problem.

I cannot sit a drink down for more then 5mins without ants crawling onto it...they are on our conter tops....they even managed to get into our microwave....I have gotten to work and found ants on the pants from our apartment before.

i HATE THEM with a passion, just last week we told the manager we were sick and tired of the ants and if they didnt correct the problem soon then we would call the health department. She said "give it seven more days please" knowing that a cold front was commin in and that useally cuts down on how many ants we have in out apartment.

So ofcourse right now we dont have very many ants because of the weather, now we keep this apartment spot less..i am a clean freak which is why i hate these ants so bad....we never leave dishes in the sink unwashed or food laying around.

We cannot even keep food in our cabnits as they will find there way into it.

Now i know they have a lady come out every wensday to spary or do whatever she does but obviously that isnt engough...a friend of mine is an exterminator also and he told me that the apartment people should of gotten somone else for the ant problem by now because she obviously doesnt know what she is doing.

Do you think that this problem is enough for us to get out of our lease? I plan on sending them the following letter

Dear Property Manager,

It appears that your office has had opportunity to inspect and propose repair and treatments with regard to the above property. However, the following item is still in need of repair:

Ant Infestation

This problem has been reported on several occasions to management, since our initial move in day. We were misrepresented about the rental unit, if management knew of this infestation when we signed the lease. Also, they have not been reasonably prudent in the methodology of getting rid of the ant infestation.

We expect that the property will be brought into statutory compliance and that all repairs materially affecting health and safety be remedied immediately.

If these repairs and remedies are not done in seven (7) days, we will seek the necessary judicial remedies against you, including damages of one month's rent plus $500, actual damages, attorney's fees and costs of court under the Tennessee Property Code.

If we do not receive a response within thirty (30) days, we will vacate and leave a forwarding address because the rental unit is unsafe and uninhabitable.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Do you think i have a chance? What information should i be gather and who should i contact...I have no clue what to do about this

Thanks agian

Last edited by a moderator:
The letter sounds reasonable but you don't know if management knew about the ant infestation. You would probably do better stating that there is no question they must have known about the problem.

If the problem is as bad as you say that it is then you have the option of moving. If you continue to stay be aware that any judge or arbitrator might take your claims less seriously if you continue to live in those conditions and tolerate it. You may do better stating that you will withhold the rent (or a specific amount as an abatement) and then either (a) work out a settlement with the landlord or (b) move somewhere else and continue with your suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back