Another security deposit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiches

I moved out from an apt. 4/14/04. My security deposit was not returned and I thought nothing of it, and forgot about it. That is, until 9 months later when I got a letter from a lawyer telling me I owe an additional $138 on top of the sec. deposit. I left the apartment in the same, if not better, condition than I received it in.

1. Can they charge me more than the security deposit for bogus charges?

I know they have to give me a response to my security deposit refund request withing 21 days; they never did. Out of the blue they contact me.

2. Is there a statue of limitations on how long they have to contact me?

Jorge in Los Angeles

Last edited:
samiches said:
I moved out from an apt. 4/14/04. My security deposit was not returned and I thought nothing of it, and forgot about it. That is, until 9 months later when I got a letter from a lawyer telling me I owe an additional $138 on top of the sec. deposit. I left the apartment in the same, if not better, condition than I received it in.

1. Can they charge me more than the security deposit for bogus charges?

I know they have to give me a response to my security deposit refund request withing 21 days; they never did. Out of the blue they contact me.

2. Is there a statue of limitations on how long they have to contact me?

Jorge in Los Angeles

2. The statute of limitations did not expire in 9 months, regardless of whichever state you may be in.

1. They can claim to charge you bogus charges. You should probably dispute them in writing, send an answer via certified mail stating everything that you set forth here, including noting the improvements that you made that left the apartment in better condition. This is why you should ALWAYS take pictures of the place your rent BEFORE you move in and RIGHT AFTER you move out. You may also want to claim your security deposit and state that you expect it back, with interest, and that you will need to take your own legal action should they not comply. Nothing like playing hardball if you truly know you are in the right here. Landlords love to keep deposits and more than occasionally try to squeeze more to have someone else pay for improvements that are their responsibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back