Annual automatic contract renewal dispute

paul heneghan

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
I signed a contract on 1st of June 2019 and notified the other party at 4 pm on 1st June 2020 that I wished to cancel my contract immediately.

The other party is claiming that I should have notified them at least the day before 1st June 2021 and they are saying the contract has automatically renewed for another year.

The relevant paragraph in the contract is as follows:-
After the first twelve months of membership have elapse unless you tell us differently your membership will continue for a further twelve months, which will automatically renew each twelve months thereafter. A new invoice will be issued at the start of each new membership year on request.

Can you tell me if you think I'm liable to have to pay a second year's fees as the other party is claiming?

You are in UK and things may work differently than the way those here are familiar.
Generally, a dispute like this is for a court to decide if the parties can not agree.
Typically advance notice is required to prevent automatic renewal, but what really matters is the language in the contract. The language you provided does not seem to require advance notice. I believe you have a reasonable argument to make, and also that the other party may ultimately fold on the matter rather than fight you over it.

Back