K Visa American-Canadian Marriage Quandry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrynne

Hello. My fiance is Canadian, living and working in Windsor. I am American, living and working in the Detroit area. We would like to be married, but maintain our current living situation until his minor children are out of school, at which point he would move to Michigan (ideally transferring to an American branch of his employer). This would be in approximately 5 years. In the interim, we would commute and spend roughly half the time in the USA and half the time in Canada. I spoke with an immigration lawyer and he told me that we would have problems at the border if we are married and living in separate countries and that we could be prevented from crossing over or staying for any length of time. What are our options? Aren't there visas or permits for this type of situation? Would being married and living apart for 4-5 years compromise my fiance's future chances at immigrating to the USA as I was told? What are the tax implications? We had assumed that because we each work and live in our own countries that we would simply continue to pay taxes to our own governments and not to the other. One of the reasons (among others) that I am unable to move to Canada and commute to work is because of the increase (huge) in my taxes if I were to live in Canada and work in the USA. What can we do, other than "shack up" and violate our moral principles? This is very frustrating because there is no printed information on any of the websites I have consulted dealing with this situation (IRS, US Customs and Immigration, CIC, etc)

HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back