Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Am I entitled to compensation if my car is damaged in a search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth545

If police search my vehicle and damage it, am I entitled to compensation for repairs if they do not turn up any illegal contraband?

I tend to be a cop-magnet, its a large gray van with red rims, a red stripe, and a PA speaker and lights on the roof, The A-Team van essentially, and I attract plenty of attention myself being 6'6"/300lbs with a huge bushy beard and mountain man hair. I've been pulled over many times with cops always asking to search (which I always refuse), so I normally never keep anything illegal in there, but I took a risk this may while driving across the state to a summer job and had the bad luck of getting pulled over by a cop with a dog (who signaled on my van), and I was busted for possession of marijuana and psilocybin mushrooms. The drugs were right in my backpack and they were found immediately, however the cops kept searching through every single box, and even ripped out/destroyed one of the wood interior panels.
Now, since I did have drugs, I doubt I would get compensation for that.

But lets say sometime in the future, I was pulled over again while I'm still on probation (I am under the impression cops can search with no warrant as long as I'm on probation, correct me if I'm wrong) or the cop has a dog which gives a false alert, or if the cop simply says he smells marijuana smoke. If they search and take it to the extent of ripping out panels/carpeting or the dashboard, if they do not find any illegal materials, can I sue for damages to have my car repaired?

Also a side question that I thought of when I was initially arrested, the cop was listing off all the drugs that his dog has found, and he mentioned that he even found mushrooms once before. As I understand it, police drug dogs are not normally trained to detect mushrooms, and the cop even admitted his dog wasn't trained for it. If a dog alerts on a car and the search turns up mushrooms, but no evidence of any other illegal drugs, would there be a decent chance of having the case dismissed for an illegal search if the dog was not trained to find mushrooms?

NO, is about the most complete answer I can give you. No compensation and no you wouldn't beat the charge.

No... UNLESS the damage is extensive. They can check behind panels and under carpet with enough PC, however they can't just carelessly destroy your van. You would have to prove the damage was not pre-existing and that it was unnecessary or reckless in the course of the search.

For example... say they knife your leather seats just for the sake of checking inside the cushions or slice your headliner from end to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back