Altercation with a salesmen, cracked open passenger door and asked for business card.

Andromeda

Jurisdiction
Missouri
(WARNING LONG POST, apologies)

I am not sure which forum to ask this question but it seemed to kind of fit here due to some other questions that I see. If not please let me know where this should be posted.

A few days ago there was a door to door salesman that parked his car in front of my mailbox. After I watched him walking around my yard (and neighbors) taking notes he ended up getting in his car and just sat there. During this time the mailman was driving down my street, once the truck got to my house he sat behind the car for a moment then swerved around him as the guy didn't care.

I got really angry and went outside, walked up to his passenger window and knocked on it. He motioned something so I cracked open his door and told him he blocked my mailbox and I missed my mail. Then asked him for his business card. He handed me a flier instead, then I closed the door and went inside my house. I realized quickly that it was stupid, both from the conflict and due to never knowing if people have a gun etc. But I want to mention that I didn't threaten him,assault him or damage his vehicle.

I half expected to police to show up because that's how people are but none stopped by. However the guy looked me up that evening and found my wife's cell phone as he texted her and said;

"Taipans, your going to be sorry that you touched my car, opened the door and slammed it shut (I didn't)"

A few things on this, one I feel like it might pass as a vague threat. Two I found it very odd how he worded it. I had the suspicion that he was baiting me into admitting it, or trying to get me to flip out. However I didn't respond as I thought it was best.

At this point I wasn't sure what to do, do I report to the police this message but risk admitting to an altercation? Or do I just ignore it and move on?

From legal stand point how bad did I screw up? Could I be arrested at any moment for instance (like a warrant). Or do the police usually just question people in these situations?

Also considering there were no witnesses, does this turn into a he said she said situation if he tries to sue me? Although I can't figure out for what since there wasn't property damage. I also feel like him being very specific on his "take" of the events kind of boxes him in on making more things up.

Any advice would be very appreciated as I have no idea on what to do at this point, I am hoping I am just overly paranoid.

Thank you!

Both of you behaved like 12 year olds; IMO neither of you has any kind of legal case against the other and you both need to pull up your big boy or girl panties and start acting like adults.

Both of you behaved like 12 year olds; IMO neither of you has any kind of legal case against the other and you both need to pull up your big boy or girl panties and start acting like adults.

Thank you very much! And ya I realized it wasn't worth getting that upset over. One of the things that pushed me a bit more is that my wife's medication should be coming in this week and she had been waiting for it. So I kind of let the mail situation get to me more than it normally would.

I wasn't looking to make any sort of case myself. I just didn't know if touching someones car or even worse cracking open their door would cause me to get in trouble.

I do appreciate the response and apologize for being annoying.

my wife's medication should be coming in this week and she had been waiting for it.

You stood there watching the mail truck pull up behind the parked car and then go around him.

Why the hell didn't you just follow the mail truck to the next house and ask for your mail?

Duh, duh, and double duh.

:p

do I report to the police this message but risk admitting to an altercation? Or do I just ignore it and move on?

Up to you.

From legal stand point how bad did I screw up?

Nothing in your post suggests to me that you "screw[ed] up" in any way.

Could I be arrested at any moment for instance (like a warrant). Or do the police usually just question people in these situations?

Could you be arrested? Sure, the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, virtually anything could happen. However, I can't even conceive of the police getting involved unless your wife complains about the text she received.

Also considering there were no witnesses, does this turn into a he said she said situation if he tries to sue me?

Now you've moved into bizarro world. Nothing you wrote suggests he has any factual or legal basis to sue you, but yes, if he were to sue you and it got past the pleading stage, it seems like the two of you would be the only witnesses.

You stood there watching the mail truck pull up behind the parked car and then go around him.

Why the hell didn't you just follow the mail truck to the next house and ask for your mail?

Duh, duh, and double duh.

:p

Not that it even matters at this point but I wasn't outside when it happened (loft watching out the window). By the time I went downstairs and out the front door the mailman was up the street. I was watching due to this guy walking around my landscaping and my neighbors while taking notes. I actually am putting up a camera today, I should've already due to some fake sales casing in my area. It would've been great to show the interaction.

You should call the postal folks... They should have gotten out of the truck and placed the mail in your box.

This.
Assuming that there is no red curb, there would likely be no prohibition on parking in front of the mail box. Even if there was a red curb (or other prohibition), all your postal carrier had to do was park in a different location and spend an extra few seconds to back-track a few feet.

This.
Assuming that there is no red curb, there would likely be no prohibition on parking in front of the mail box. Even if there was a red curb (or other prohibition), all your postal carrier had to do was park in a different location and spend an extra few seconds to back-track a few feet.

I have noticed that ours are fairly lazy overall. Which is frustrating, I have ordered stuff through USPS and one mail lady in particular will just put down "not home / didn't answer door" when she doesn't feel like walking... And ya there is not a marked curb but they will stick warnings on multiple offenders on a possible fine. I had a neighbor who's teen blocked their own mailbox and after a few times she got one.

Anyhow I try to avoid having USPS ship me things unless I have no choice. I don't complain about my carriers though as one of them (albeit also a bit lazy) is friendly.

Back