"Ajudication Withheld" - Worst Possible Case Scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADeLaine

Last night my fiancee was pulled over during a routine traffic stop and was given a traffic citation for driving without a license and without having the registration in the car. The officer told her he was giving her this citation with a court date on it in lieu of arresting her. Now, on the back of the paper, it states, and I quote,

"Option 3: If you do NOT hold a commercial driver license and you were cited for...failure to display a valid driver license, failure to possess a valid registration...you may elect to show proof of compliance to the Clerk of Court in the form of a valid driver license, registration...whichever is applicable. You may pay court costs and ajudication will be withheld."

Can someone please put this into plain English and tell me what the worst case scenario is here? Best case?

Adjudication withheld means you are not "convicted" of the offense although technically you are still guilty of the offense. If she does whatever is required of her by the court (ie pay court costs, show proof of license/registration), she should be fine.

One other thing: the box he checked was for a criminal violation, and the options on the back are listed for non-criminal violations. Is there any realistic chance that she will be arrested in court?

One other thing: the box he checked was for a criminal violation, and the options on the back are listed for non-criminal violations. Is there any realistic chance that she will be arrested in court?

We can't predict what someone might do.

But, if she doesn't attend to this properly, the next time she gets stopped, she probably will be arrested.

Technically they are criminal violations. She needs to go to court & do whatever is required of her by the court/judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back