after ID theft, which left me broke, creditors won't work with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker12

Last month (as I mentioned in another thread) I became the victim of ID Theft. This tapped me dry financially (see other thread) and forced me to freeze the old bank account and open a new one. In the process, I was unable to pay my credit cards & other bills in a timely fashion and resulted in fees, etc, that had put me over the limit.

I had notified all of the creditors/lenders/etc of this horrid situation, and explained that I was in the process of resolving it and there will just be a slight delay in payment(s). Most creditors seemed really understanding.

Sadly, I afterward, I recieved notice that 2 of my credit card companies closed my accounts for being over the credit limit. This occured even after my explaining to them what happened.

You'd think that they would make exceptions in this case wouldn't you? I mean I was a victim, and the whole thing was VERY unforseen...

My questions: Is there anything I can do to get my account back in good standing with these 2 creditors? Do I need to send them proof of ID theft, in order to get them to reverse the decision?
I just don't want my credit rating damaged because of this--it's affected me badly enough already. And, prior to this fiasco, I was in very good standing with both credit card companies. It still shows that I'm in good standing with them on my credit reports--it just shows that they closed their accounts at their own discretion. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back