Affidavit of Heirship for Motor Vehicle used but owner is still living

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoatx

My father is the owner of a 1965 truck that his nephew has had possession of for several years. The truck has significant sentimental value. We have been trying to get him to return the truck. Sent a 10 day demand letter as requested by the sheriffs department. Went back to report the truck stole after the time was up and we were advised that the truck had been transferred into his name. We were unable to report it as stole with the sheriffs department because in their eyes my father is no longer the owner. We have possession of the original title and are astonished that he was able to somehow do this. We found out today over the phone from the DMV that he used the Affidavit of Heirship for a Motor Vehicle form VTR-272 on 6/5/14. My father is alive and well. The DMV advised over the phone that we go to the DMV office and get certified copies of the title history and then take them to an attorney. Why is this now our responsibility to get fixed if this entire transaction on state documents is fraudulent? At this point we are not sure what to do. This should be criminal and not civil?

What state is dad and the correct title from? It appears he needs to go the local police and press theft charges, advise them of the fraudulent transfer and request they impound the vehicle and arrest the nephew.

All occurring in Texas. I agree, and this is what we would like to see happen. The sheriffs department told us because it was already in the nephews name it was now a civil issue. The DMV also advised us over the phone that it is a civil issue. I am hoping that when we go in to get the documents that they will see the error of their ways and fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back