Advise appreaciated

Ben88

Jurisdiction
Australia
Hi there... in the year 2011 my mothers husband invited me to do a commercial diving course in scotland where the school was based. He said upon completion he would be able to get me work and thats when i would start repaying the course fees. My main concern was what if i failed the course? My mum and stepfather said it would be ok no money has to be paid back. I completed the course but thats when i realised work in the offshore industry was very very hard to get. I sat and looked for work at there place for over a year... i sent cvs made calls the works. Not even my stepfather could get me work. So i sold my car i didnt work for the whole year and i decided i had to come home to my previous job to get my finances back. The years past and i was and still unable to get work in the offshore industry. Now my stepfather is trying to sue me through a dept collection agency.. the sum of money is around 16 thousand pounds. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

If he's suing you in Oz from Scotland, it won't be successful.
If, however, he's pursuing you in Oz for a debt alleged to have been commissioned in Scotland, talk to a solicitor.
With 16 K on the line, it'll be worth your while to fight it.

Yes he is pursuing me from australia.. he came here about a month ago with my mother as my brother had a baby. All i got was threats from a dept collector based here..

It is possible there is a statute of limitations that may have expired as well. I couldn't say what that limit might be in your country as it varies from place to place. In short, if he did not file the complaint in time he may not be able to legally collect.

Back