Advice on how to stop slander on my character....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend that was more like a sister we will call Nic. We have been associated for over 20 years. She has a friend we will call Dee. A little over a year ago Nic & I had a disagreement about my daughter due to my religious choices for my family. She was trying to persuade my daughter to not attend church and referred to me as a religious nut. My daughter and my next to the oldest son told me of the times she has tried to separate my children from me and from our beliefs with her negative remarks behind my back about my choice of churches and my personal life. When I spoke to Nic about her actions she lost it. She verbally attacked me and we had a few email exchanges last year. We both decided that it was time to end our relationship as friends. Since that time her and her friend Dee have gone on a rampage on Facebook.com and have posted negative and defaming posts about me that are damaging to me socially as well as spiritually. They have openly attacked my religious views and my walk with God. I have had to block both of them from my facebook page due to constant harassment. I just stopped talking to Dee all together and requested over the voice mail after several calls from her and hang ups that she stop at once her involvement in the situation with me and my sister. She stopped calling me but continued the defamation of my character on the internet. She has only been told Nic's opinion of the situation but has taken that untrue information that Nic said in anger and blasted me on facebook for over a year now. I was not ok with it but was not bothered personally by it since I can't see it up until this week. My children know Nic as their auntie because we have raised my children and her children as family all their lives and I have not told my children not to communicate with Nic as they love and respect her, even though her children are scared to talk to me due to her rants and outbursts with them about me. My oldest daughter has stopped talking to her because she saw all the negative things that Nic and Dee have said about me on the net. This is where my concern comes in. Nic had a comment on her page that did not pertain to me. My son commented in a positive way to that comment. Dee came behind him and posted "poor baby with his *f@@@ satanic mother, God please save him." My son of course commented back in my defense. Then a fight began between Dee's son and my son. Both of them each defending their own mother in the situation as any son would. I was able to speak to both boys and they are fine now but I feel this has gone too far and now my children are being affected by this. It is out of hand and way beyond childish what they have done and continue to do to me online. I attempted to speak to my sister, Nic today. I emailed her asking that she control her friend Dee and her comments, as she has control as to what is posted on her (Nic's) page. I asked her to meet with me to discuss safe guards in the future relationship to protect our children from being effected any further than they already have in this situation so they can live in peace and still have each other as family even though we have decided to end our association. She refused and stated that I need to handle my side as I see fit and she will do the same. I am afraid that her way of "handling" this situation will involve the continued slander of my name for my children and Dee's child and Nic's children to see and be effected by. Our children nor Dee have nothing to do with the decision Nic and I made to not be associated any further. This could be a very peaceful situation if she would allow it and I want it to be. I work in a professional setting and I am also very active in my church. I work in different ministries there and this could seriously affect those areas of my life. I wish for this on slot of insults and defamation of my personal character to stop by both women. Dee is a firefighter and has to live by certain rules of engagement in ever area of her life and I am sure that her commanding officers would be interested in her online activity but I do not want to cause her professional harm. I just want the harassment and online attacks to stop. I want our children to be able to have each other and each of us in their lives freely. I am not sure how this can happen. please help if you can... Any suggestions?

Since that time her and her friend Dee have gone on a rampage on Facebook.com and have posted negative and defaming posts about me that are damaging to me socially as well as spiritually. They have openly attacked my religious views and my walk with God... I do not want to cause her professional harm. I just want the harassment and online attacks to stop. I want our children to be able to have each other and each of us in their lives freely. I am not sure how this can happen. please help if you can... Any suggestions?
LOL on disagreeable's comment. The above reflects the problems that social media can cause. The law will protect you from slander although the type of defamation you refer to is called "libel" (written defamatory content) and it may not be libel at all. In order to have a cause of action to sue for defamation the libelous content must contain a false statement. From what I'm reading, the content casts you in a bad light but there is no actual lie or false statement that was written. Some states, such as a California, do have "false light" causes of action that are not actually defamation claims but that is still not the case here. You just don't like the inflammatory posts.

Your action would be to report the misconduct to Facebook as a violation of Facebook's terms of use. They may choose to suspend your former friend's Facebook profile and Facebook access or simply remove the content and provide the user a stern warning. This is your social media remedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back