Advice on Eviction/Small Claims Judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBJill

My husband was on a lease with a roommate back in 2000-01 in Brown County, Wisconsin. My husband, his roommate, and his roommate's mother were listed on the lease. My husband moved out when the lease expired after 1 year, but his roommate continued to live there, resulting in an eviction and a judgment of about $1200. Neither my husband or his roommate paid the judgment and my husband never returned the Order for Financial Disclosure and Financial Disclosure Statement; my husband also didn't pay since he is not responsible. My husband has not recieved any further notifications nor taken any action since.

Now, this week, he recieved another Order for Financial Disclosure and Financial Disclosure Statement due back 5 days after we received it in the mail. It is not signed by a judge or court person. The judgement has collected about $1000 additional dollars in interest.

My questions are:
1) Is there any action my husband can take to avoid paying this judgment? (Such as suing his ex-roommate, or will it go away if he ignores it long enough?)

2) Why is the lawyer/debt collection agency after my husband for the whole amount when there were 2 additional people on the lease and in the case?

3) If my husband does pay this debt to get it off his credit history and record, will it also be removed for his ex-roommate and ex-roommate's mother? (if so, that doesn't seem right)

If my husband pays anything, it would seem right that he should only pay 1/3 since he is 1 out of 3 people listed on the lease and who the judgment is filed against.

I would greatly appreciate any legal advice or knowledge you could share with me.

1) Is there any action my husband can take to avoid paying this judgment? (Such as suing his ex-roommate, or will it go away if he ignores it long enough?)

A: No and no. (Yes, he needs to sue roommates IF THEY HAVE ANY MONEY but that doesn't mean he's off the hook.)

2) Why is the lawyer/debt collection agency after my husband for the whole amount when there were 2 additional people on the lease and in the case?

A: Maybe your husband is the only one with money.

3) If my husband does pay this debt to get it off his credit history and record, will it also be removed for his ex-roommate and ex-roommate's mother? (if so, that doesn't seem right)

A: Ask the credit reporting agencies (but I don't think so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back