Advice: Old Speeding Ticket, suspended license -NYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladylcat

I got a ticket for speeding 84 in a 65 on the NYS thruway in spring 2002. I pleaded not-guilty but couldn't make the original court date and had requested a new date, however I never received notice of the new date and eventually forgot about it. It recently came up and I decided to look into what had happened. As it turns out, my license is currently suspended. The DMV told me to talk to the Town Court.

When I called the town court, the woman who answered the phone did not allow me to speak to anyone else besides her. She informed me that I could re-enter a plea of guilty or not guilty, however would not give me any information as to the what the fines would be, she simply said it was up to the discretion of the judge.

I am unsure if I should blindly enter a guilty plea, unaware of what the consequences could be. Normally I realize that a plea of not-guilty would be a better way to go, since most judges will bargain down the fine. I don't know if that's a good idea in this case since the ticket is so old.

I'm not really sure what to do. Any advice?

New York Speeding Ticket

If your license has been suspended that means that a guilty plea to the speeding ticket was entered and that your license was suspended for failure to pay the fine. You can make a motion for reopening the case but in the meantime your license will probably remain suspended. Only the judge can give you a letter to have you license reinstated.

My suggestion would be to go over to the court rather than by phone. In most cases your only option will be to pay the fine and then another fine at the DMV to have your license reinstated. It all depends on the judge. It doesn't pay to forget about a legal matter and speeding tickets fall in this catagory.

I spoke to the court, and I do have the option to re-enter a plea of guilty or not-guilty for the ticket.

The problem is, the court is about 2 hours away from where I live, so to get there is quite a chore, however if I pleaded not-guilty I realize I'd have to make the trip.

My question is more concerning the plea - I would prefer to bargain down the ticket, like is usually the case w/most normal speeding tickets, however I am not sure if the fact that this case is so old will make that an impossibility. Additionally, I am concerned that if I blindy plead guilty that I may be subjecting myself to outrageous fines because this case is old and it is up to the discretion of the judge. I just want to take care of this ticket a fast and least costly method possible. I'd like some advice on what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back