Advice Needed Badly:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinziamoy

Hello. There is a law office calling me threatening me with a lawsuit or judgement over a Visa card that I had years ago. The balance is 900.00, but they say there are willing to settle for 600.00. After doing so research, the company that I orginally had the Visa with sold my acct to this credit management organization. So its this credit management group that has this law office calling me. Well when I looked them up on the BBB website it says that this law office is a "collection agency". This lady that calls is very ignorant...has called me a lier and everything. She called once and had my husband a nervous wreck. She told him that if a judgement is put against me they can come into my house and take WHATEVER. Now I do not own the property that we live on. We rent. Can they come onto the property without my landlords permission? I wanted to make payment arrangements but she said its too late for that. She really has me scared. Money is very tight for us right now. My husband is on disability and I'm caring for my youngest son who has just been diagnosed with seizures. Plus I'm taking college classes to try and better myself. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would really be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much :)

about the debt collection

They cant refuse to take your payments then turn around and try to collect on them. If they refuse to take your payments then they have to send you a written letter explaining why they wont and it has to be a valad reason ie: insufficent funds in account paying from or something like that. They also would have to accept payments in any amount that they get. I believe there is only certain things she could take like something you put up as collateral or something like a car. She would have to have your landlords permission to come into your house also. Another law that she might be violating is the Statute of Limitations Law. Meaning if the financial institution waited more than a certain amount of time to try to collect the debt then they cant try to collect it its like when you sue someone for damages you only have a certain amount of time from the time you learn about the incident to take legal action. The time alotted depends on the state. Also if she is being rude to you, you can file harassment charges. A good idea might be write down what they say to you and keep it for your records and if the law in your state allows tape record the conversation. If they have to right to tape record you you can do it to them. You are just required to let them know and if they continue talking to you its the same as saying yes. You have the right to speak with them without being recorded and if they refuse to let you record them they have to hang up. Alot of things that helped me was going to www.ask.com and type in specific things like Debt consolidation laws and fair collections act. There was a phone number I called and got alot of information from that really helped. Ill find that phone number and post it up here for you later. Working for a bank taught me some really useful things. I know how you feel Im going through harassment with Wells Fargo right now over my checking account. I hope things go better for you. :)

You're Welcome! :) :) :)
Also I would do all the research you can on all these laws and check the laws in your state and then throw that in thier faces. If you know your stuff then it scares them a little bit. When I get home Ill try to find that phone number to that information hotline. Its by a lawfirm based out of Salt lake city but its just a recording with a lot of useful information.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back