adoption

jackiegoynes

Jurisdiction
Texas
I live in Texas and my nephew has been living with me since he was 6 months. His mother died and he has a dead beat dad which doesnt pay child support. Due to law changes the state will no longer let him have medicad just because his mom died they want to base it on my salary and I make to much money to qualify. I cant put him on my insurance at work because I did not legally adopt him. I was told i would not have a chance of adopting him because his dad is still living even though he is in and out of jail. Is this a correct statement? He has to have medical insurance it has ADHD!

Do you have any sort of legal claim to this kid? Legal guardian, perhaps? Or is he just casually living with you? Many policies will allow you to cover the child if you are the legal guardian, even if you have not formally adopted the child. If the child is just casually living with you, then you aren't going to be able to cover him on your policy. That doesn't mean you can't purchase a policy to cover the child; you can. The government and your employer just won't be picking up the tab.

You need to consult an attorney who specializes in family law/child custody issues to find out what is involved and what your chances are.

I would not consider this to be a do-it-yourself matter.

Back