Administrator powers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lea85

Here's the story:

My parents were divorced when my father died in '93. He had no will so everything was left to me. My mother was appointed as administrator since I was a minor at the time, 9 years old. I am now 22 and figuring out what all has happened over the past 10+ years.
What was left to me was a tract of 300+ acres and a tract of 26 acres with a house on it. My mother, as administrator bought the house. She also sold off several other items of my father's. She invested a good amount of the estate's money in the stock market and lost all of it when it crashed a while back.
Could anyone tell me what she was and was not allowed to do as administrator? Did she have the right to sell things and buy the house and invest money when I was under age? Am I entitled to anything I lost when she did these things? This occured in Georgia also.

Last edited:
She could not buy the house. That would be self-dealing. There is a statute of limitations that started when you turned 18. You need to immediately consult with an attorney and he will immediately demand an accounting. I assume that you and your mother are not on good terms.

If you need a reference there is a link at the top of the page or send me a private message with the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back