Consumer Fraud Additional Bill 4 months after service

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodteeth

I just received a statement from my dentist stating we owe an additional $2,418.00 on top of the $6,234.00 I have already paid in 2014. The work started in April 2014 and I was getting work done as I could afford it. The dentist has our insurance information and before each visit we were given the estimated cost of the procedure. Our portion of the balance was paid in full after each visit. The dentist knew our insurance and adjusted the prices accordingly. After many visits we received the statement on August 2, 2014 for the amount due of $2,418.00. The bookkeeper stated that our insurance didn't cover some of the costs. If we had been told the true pricing during our first visit on April 10, 2014 we would have made the decision to either postpone our procedures of shopped costs with another firm. Because the dentist didn't notify us until 4 months later they took away our options. I believe this is a loose interpretation of "Bait and Switch." We were quoted a price and 4 months after the fact we are told that our bill is 38% more than we expected. This seems to be a very shady practice.

Summary,

The dentist knew our insurance plan and even after numerous visits didn't notify us of additional charges of 38% above the estimates until 4 months after the initial procedure which eliminated our options to either shop for a new dentist of postpone visits until we could afford them.

I just received a statement from my dentist stating we owe an additional $2,418.00 on top of the $6,234.00 I have already paid in 2014. The work started in April 2014 and I was getting work done as I could afford it. The dentist has our insurance information and before each visit we were given the estimated cost of the procedure. Our portion of the balance was paid in full after each visit. The dentist knew our insurance and adjusted the prices accordingly. After many visits we received the statement on August 2, 2014 for the amount due of $2,418.00. The bookkeeper stated that our insurance didn't cover some of the costs. If we had been told the true pricing during our first visit on April 10, 2014 we would have made the decision to either postpone our procedures of shopped costs with another firm. Because the dentist didn't notify us until 4 months later they took away our options. I believe this is a loose interpretation of "Bait and Switch." We were quoted a price and 4 months after the fact we are told that our bill is 38% more than we expected. This seems to be a very shady practice.

Summary,

The dentist knew our insurance plan and even after numerous visits didn't notify us of additional charges of 38% above the estimates until 4 months after the initial procedure which eliminated our options to either shop for a new dentist of postpone visits until we could afford them.

Sorry, its your fault this happened.
Health care providers aren't obligated to accept insurance.
If they do, its the patient's (or the guarantor's) job to ensure that all costs are correct.
Don't rely on the insurance company to do your job.
Don't rely on the iprovider to do your job.
You are the one that must protect your interests.
I always wait until my insurance company reveals what they'll pay BEFORE I authorize the dentist to proceed.
And, even before I say, OKAY, I always get the insurer's evaluation in WRITING, before saying YES, proceed.

Sorry, you can request the dentist to audit the bill for accuracy.
You should do the same thing.
Other than that, you owe what the dentist alleges you owe.

Unless your insurance policy expressly and in so many words says otherwise, it is YOUR responsibility, not that of the dentist, to know the limits of your insurance coverage.

BTW, I have worked with medical and dental insurance for 35+ years. The dental policy I am currently covered under pays a maximum of $3000 per year per person, regardless of the overall cost of the procedure. You may be interested to know that this policy is considered to be an exceptionally good one - most dental policies shut off at $1000, $1200 or $1500 per person per year.

Agree that ultimately it is your responsibility to see that the dentist gets paid what is owed - responsibility is not on dentist or ins. co. if they paid as per their policy provisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back