Acting on behalf of my daughter (HELP!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumzee

Due to personal issues, my daughter left me to act on her behalf.
I need to go get her personal property from an apartment in Huntsville.
When I called her neighbor to get the name of the new landlord, the neighbor told me that my daughters apartment was entered with a key and items stolen from the unit. The neighbors were feeding her cats while she was gone(which was fine). The property owners daughter and her boyfriend entered the apartment behind the friends that were feeding the cats ... they did not have permission to be in there. The owners daughter took the key from the friend feeding the cats the next day, and did not give it to the manager til the following day. The night before she gave the key to the manager ... the items were stolen.
I have left message after message with the owners daughter and can not get a reply. I can not get the number of the new manager either. What am I suppose to do? I live in Pensacola, Fl and have made arrangments with my sons to go Monday (02/09/09) to get her things.
Huntsville police said I cant do anything until Im in town as I must sign a theft report. PLEASE help me out someone .... anyone!!

She has gone to her brothers out west. She is dealing with some very personal issues.
She wrote a papaer for me so I could act on her behalf.

A piece of paper? Unless this is a Power of Attorney or the like it carries no force of law. The Landlord does not have to allow you entry based on a piece of paper

So even if she signed a paper asking me to get her personal items and her pets ... i cant?
I also have the copy of her 30 day notice tha the manager excepted.

Last edited:
The landlord may honor this or he may be a...well, a hard nose about it.

I'd go to the rental on Monday, meet with the manager, show him the paper from your daughter, move her property out and then file a police report about the stolen items.

Gail

According to my daughters friend that lives at the complex, the manager is a very nice man, and has had her feeding the cats until I can get there.
This is probably a stupid question, but what are the odds of me being able to get the stolen items back do you think?
Even the current manager believes that the owners daughter and her boyfriend took them.... And by the way ... how legal was it for the owners daughter and her boyfriend to enter the unit?

No. She happened to be on the property when friends were feeding the cats ... and just walked inside the unit. The friends feeding the cat finished and sorta scooted her and her b/f out and locked the door. The next day she went and got the unit key from the friends feeding the cats and it was that night that someone entered with a key and the items were stolen. The next day after the items were stolen she gave the key to the current manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back