accosted at kmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnchef

a kmart security guard accosted me today and accused me of stealing a hat..he called me me thief and called the cops on me ...i was so embarassed..why cant a young black man enter a store without people accusing them of being shoplifters...people were looking at me like i was a thief..i felt really violated..and im thinking about suing..the guy draggeg my coat and prevented me from leaving the store...i feel like taking this to my lawyer..what should i do

And why did the guard do all this?

You will need to be more detailed than this sorry. What state did this happen in and what events led up to the stop? Did you refuse to return to store with them etc etc. the state is important as many states laws say concealment is a crime so if you intentional or not concealed an item a crime was committed

this happened in ny...i just went to kmart to check the sale that they were having...i picked up an hat and then put it back down..then as i was leaving the store he accosted me and said i was a thief

this happened in ny...i just went to kmart to check the sale that they were having...i picked up an hat and then put it back down..then as i was leaving the store he accosted me and said i was a thief

And where was the hat when all this happened?

You will need to be more detailed than this sorry. What state did this happen in and what events led up to the stop? Did you refuse to return to store with them etc etc. the state is important as many states laws say concealment is a crime so if you intentional or not concealed an item a crime was committed

I don't believe our poster wants to give us the full details.

:no:

I agree since a poster from another site has informed me that OP has posted on another site and has curiously omitted some details here on this site. It appears that security told him he was video taped stealing from another KMart and the arrest was for that theft. Also not mentioned here was that OP resisted thus the excessive force

went into kmart looking at stuff because they had a sale...took up an hat and realized that I had too much so I didn't want it..as I was exiting the store a man
came pushing me saying I stole a hat....I was there telling him I didn't stole the hat..people were looking around as it was getting intense..he then realized he was wrong ..and then
I went crazy..they even called the police on me...I was embarassed..and I feel like taking it to a lawyer ...a I believe he was being profiled becaise of my skin color..they wanted to compensate me but I said no..what ya'll think..should I take t
is to my lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back