Accident ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtdave08

Hi there,

I was involved in accident in IL (Dupage co) in May 2006. I rear-ended the person in front of me. She was shaken up so they took her to the ER to look her over. I was issued a ticket and given a court date. My insurance company paid for the repair of her car and mine.
I went to the court appearance and the person I hit did not go. The court gave me back my license, and I thought the rest was history.

Today, I receive a summons to appear in court that she is suing me for medical expenses incurred and for future expenses.

Do I need a lawyer for the upcoming court appearance or can I direct this back to my insurance company?
Is there a statute of limitations here? (Is it 2 years?)

Thanks in advance.

Check your insurance policy that was is effect on the date of loss and see if you have med pay or bodily injury coverages, if you do turn it into your insurance company.
Statute of limitations vary, but where I am from its three years.
Your insurance company should have taken care of this for you already if you had coverage, if this goes to court and you had coverage, your insurance company might have to pay for an attorney to represent you.
Let me know if you need any help interpiting your policy.

If you had medical payments coverage on your policy, that would not cover medical bills for the person you hit. Medical payments coverage is for the injured occupants of YOUR vehicle. Your liability policy should cover the bills and pain & suffering for the girl you hit. Did she even have a bodily injury claim open with your auto insurance or just a property damage claim? Statute of Limitations for personal injury in CA is 2 years, that's pretty standard in most states, not sure about yours but you can easily look that up. If you're concerned you need to call your auto insurance company to see if there is a claim open and speak to the adjuster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back