AC and furnace issue that management will no respond on

esleechung

Jurisdiction
California
Currently renting a home from a management company. Before moving in, the rental listing said this home had Central cooling and one of the associates verbally confirmed that the home had a/c (before we filled out the applications and got the rental) Turns out, the home does not have AC and the furance is completely broken. Our previous rental did not have central a/c so the summers were unbearable. Now, we come to find out on the hottest day couple weeks ago, when it was 115 degrees that there is no a/c in a 2 story home. Maintenance advised us that few months before moving in, a work order was placed to check the a/c unit and furnace before new tenants moved in. They closed the order stating the heat furnace had to be completely replaced and no ac unit was there but to put one in. quote $10,000 and nothing was done. The rental listing was falsely advertised. Ive been trying to contact the management but no one has replied to 3 emails ive sent in the last couple week. Is there legally anything i can do??

Is there legally anything i can do?

I'm a little confused. Is this a single-family residence? If so, the presence or absence of central air conditioning would be obvious simply by walking around the house.

In any event, when did you move in, and how long is the initial term of your lease? In what county is the residence located?

Your lease likely specifies how to report repair issues to the landlord. Make sure you follow it exactly. It usually requires notice in writing.... I recommend you put it on paper mail it rather than email.
Did you do a walkthrough when you moved in? That was your opportunity to note any damage or problems.

Personally, I would be asking the landlord to be allowed to break the lease and find a new rental. This has started badly and likely won't improve. If the landlord refuses then there are steps you can take, but you need to make sure you do it right.

I'm a little confused. Is this a single-family residence? If so, the presence or absence of central air conditioning would be obvious simply by walking around the house.

In any event, when did you move in, and how long is the initial term of your lease? In what county is the residence located?
Sorry if i made it confusing. But This is a single family residence AND the rental listing and associate said there was central A/C in the home. i have it in writing but signing the lease agreement and moving in, we later found out the home is not equipped. It is an older home so when we didnt see a ground unit, we assumed it is a roof unit.

We moved in mid may.. only been there 2 months and there has already been alot of issues to begin with other than the AC. our term is 1 year and it is Orange county. (First home rental we've ever rented and i feel like this place is really screwing us over)

Back