? about rights of pregant teens, partents

Status
Not open for further replies.

milly

Our 17 yr old just told us she is Pregnant, I told her she needed to stay home until he can aford rent and her the babys health insurance, now she is talking about moving in with him asap [they dont have any money so that wont be real soon] she is due april 2009 [ she wont be 18 until june]he is just 18yrs old they both work in fast food.

1.what are mine and her dads rights/responsibility to her and the baby? 2.can she just leave if she wants?
3. can she get married with out our consent?
4.wouldnt she lose her stated funded health insurance if they are living together?
I want her to stay home for a while until they save up some money to move into a decent apt. [she is white he is black] I dont want them to live in a hostial bigotted apt complex [were living in the south thats NOT easy.]

I will probably have more questions later thanks for the help.

milly

1.what are mine and her dads rights/responsibility to her and the baby? She is still your daughter and she is a minor. You are legally and financially responsible for her until her 18th birthday. She, and only she, is responsible for the baby. (After paternity is established, the father is as well but that does not happen until after the birth.)
2.can she just leave if she wants? No. As said above, she is still a minor. Until her 18th birthday, she lives where you say she lives.
3. can she get married with out our consent? No. There is no state where a minor can marry without parental consent, permission from the court, or both.
4.wouldnt she lose her stated funded health insurance if they are living together? Possibly, but that's one I can't answer without more information about the policy and its eligibility requirements.

She may be under the mistaken impression that being pregnant automatically emancipates her - far too many teens believe that myth. Pregnancy grants her MEDICAL emancipation - she, with the help of her doctor, can now make the final decision about her health care and the care of her baby. She is NOT legally emancipated and in fact, being pregnant means that her chances of becoming legally emancipated before her 18th birthday does it for her, are just about nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back